Woodmaster 718
I am thinking about purchasing a new wood Planer and drum sander.  Originally I was planning on the Grizzly G1066Z 24" drum sander with variable speed and the G0453Zw 15" planer with spiral head cutter.  After adding in mobile bases and sand paper and shipping I am at about 4 grand for the machines.

I got to thinking, if I buy a Woodmaster 718 with the Pro pack would I be better off since I can also use that to make moldings if I ever needed to. 

Anyone have the Woodmaster that can comment on it?  Are you happy with the purchase and are the planer results acceptable enough?  I have read that you sometimes get some chatter and can see the planer marks because it does not have a pressure bar and others have had to make modifications like hinging the motor etc.
I  never had a woodmaster planer but have owned two sanders, a 26 and 38in. Loved both of them and love the company. I bought the 26 used and it was in rough shape,stored outside under a tarp. I called woodmaster and they walked me through some repairs and even sent me the new parts for free.

If I can find room in my new small shop, the only drum sander I would consider is a woodmaster. Made in America  with american motors and very happy with the sanders. But never used the planer so hopefully someone else will chime in..
I haven't owned one, but I have used it - other than some frowning on the sheet metal shell surrounding the head vs. the heavier cast approach of PM, Griz, Delta of old, etc. they are built very well. Top shelf parts, top notch service as noted, and few disappointed users in my experience.

I've only used the straight knife unit, so cannot comment on helical options, pricing, or effect - but they are a pretty impressive outfit.

michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
I too have a Woodmaster 28 in sander and do not have their planer. The sander is built like a tank and I have always been impressed with their customer service. My only concern would be with the time to change from a planer to a sander to a molder. It's not like flipping a switch.
Doing it right cost less than doing it over
I've got a 718 with propak. Beefy planer. The drum sander doesn't go to zero without a bed board. Takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes to convert from one function to another. Never experienced chatter when planing

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(12-21-2016, 09:31 PM)meackerman Wrote: I've got a 718 with propak. Beefy planer. The drum sander doesn't go to zero without a bed board. Takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes to convert from one function to another.  Never experienced chatter when planing

Basically what Mark say's . I get some mill marks with the molder , but no worse than what you get from the Borg {probably less }. Never tried hinging the motor .
  I made a more substantial bed board  . I just haven't tried it .
 Never hooked up the pro pak . If I was going to run tongue and grove I might .
 Too bad Melvin ( Cooner1 ) ain't still  around. He sure would chime in . He ran a LOT of molding through his . He had the indexed head on his . I recall his telling me he really liked it . He jerry rigged up two routers to his before Woodmaster thought to do it .
I haven't been here in a while

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Thanks Mark.  

I would primarily use it as a planer and occasionally use the drum sander so switch overs are not really an issue.

I think I will price it out and then make a decision.  In general it sounds like people are happy with the Woodmaster and I like the fact that is made in the USA.
Tom, I have two friends that have Woodmaster machines. Mario has the 725 he uses as a planer and ripsaw mainly. Jeff has two machines the 712 and 725. Both shops are millwork shops and boat builders.
They both love their machines and recommend them. Jeff has the 712 set up for moldings and the 725 is used mainly as a planer. Once in a while when they get busy I'll give them a hand. Last month I ran about 800 lf of Honduras mahogany thru the planer for Mario , snipe was very slight. Actually no snipe if I got the next board directly behind the one running thru. I don't think you can go wrong with Woodmaster machines.

mike
Had a 718 in a partnership. Good machine. That ended and I purchased a 712 to run moldings with.
Never used the sanding head in the 718.
Both are good machines. Dust hood could be better for better chip/dust removal.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

They're always on sale, so ignore the 'savings' of it being 'on sale'.
They will occasionally run a free shipping promo...where they'll ship it for free to a local distribution center and you pick it up there.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark