Hand Tool Storage
As I get more into hand tools, my collection of hand plane, saws and chisels has increased.  I currently have my tools storage on wall racks and shelves, but I would like to design a tool storage solution that has them all in one place.  At first I was going to build a wall mounted tool storage rack, however I am tossing around building a tool chest with wheels.  My shop is a detached 2-car garage, so woodworking in Dec - Mar is limited due to the weather in the Northeast.  My thinking is the tool chest will provide a little better barrier to rust.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

Scott
Great if you need to carry tools to a site, but generally I don't like chests because stuff gets buried and you're constantly bending down to find things.

I think a hanging tool cabinet with a small cabinet unit and countertop underneath is the way to go.

When I built mine I was able to find lots of plans.

As far as rust, you can build in a place to keep a tub of Damp Rid or other dessicant. Plus keep your tools coated with Jatoba oil or WD40.

BTW, THE worst place to keep them is an unheated garage but keeping them in a sealed box will help.
It if were me, I would move the hand tools inside if possible.
I also prefer the tool cabinet
My first tool cabinet was just a very simple cabinet with doors that I could hang some tools on
My current tool cabinet is a very complex assembly

Here are a few pictures of the cabinet
[Image: cabinet%20front%20small_zpsyg12tyyv.jpg]

[Image: front%20open%20small_zpsx2ootzgg.jpg]

[Image: open1s_zpsxcnt3q75.jpg]
Where I live (California's North Coast, technically a Mediterranean climate, although it gets cold and damp in the winter), summer humidity is not a big issue; so I can use mechanic's metal tool boxes.  Most of my small tools are in a rollaway and a top box.  I like it.

What frustrates me with this approach, though, is that the manufacturers of the rollaways don't allow for the height of woodworking planes, so my planes are stored in cubbies under the workbench. This I don't like, as the planes shorter than No. 6 are in rows, one behind the other; so I have to take out planes to get to the models I don't use as much.
(12-21-2016, 11:59 AM)Del Hilburn Wrote: [Image: front%20open%20small_zpsx2ootzgg.jpg]

[Image: open1s_zpsxcnt3q75.jpg]

WOW!  I spend months designing and building a tool cabinet this year, but it just wants to bow down to yours.

Just one suggestion for the OP from someone who also stores tools in an unheated Northeast garage - Buy a Goldenrod dehumidifier.  I learned about them from Dominic (Blacky's Boy) and it works wonders.

Steve
Nicely done Del!!!  That is a serious hand tool wall cabinet.  

Scott
I love my rolling tool chest. It's a scaled-down Anarchist's Tool Chest. If you don't have the book, get it from Lost Art Press. You'll avoid tons of mistakes on layout and design, and you'll get great ideas on where in the chest to store stuff.

I have most of my tools in my chest, though some (like saws and boring tools) are still hanging on the walls. I could fit everything in my chest if I really needed to, but I don't.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I've ended up with wall cabinets and tool chests. The wall cabinets hold hand saws and braces.
The tool chests (ala ATC) hold hand planes, auger bits, marking tools, etc.

As for bending over, the lowest four inches are the casters and chest bottom. The bottom layer of tools are hand planes, another 7+ inches.
Therefore I'm never really reaching past my knees. Sliding tills in the upper part prevent me from having to root around.

YMMV
(12-21-2016, 01:37 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: I have most of my tools in my chest, though some (like...boring tools)...

I don't have any boring tools; they're all interesting.

Sorry; I have very, very low resistance to straight lines.
Since I also live in Ca I, too, use a large Dewalt roll-away for all my planes and chisels. I have a small Kennedy tool chest that was my Dad's which I use for small, delicate stuff: calipers, marking knives, dovetail markers and things of that ilk. Mallets, braces, hammers are hanging on the wall.

I prefer wall storage because I can see things. I dislike ATC chests because I like acquiring tools and have no wish to limit myself to a single chest. Besides, my back could not handle the bending.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard