Hand Tool Storage
Del--That is a beautiful AND functional tool cabinet. Well done and thanks for the pictures.

Bill--I second your thought on the shallow roll around drawers. The true mechanic's roll arounds have exceedingly shallow drawers. Some of the lower end stuff, however, has drawers that would accommodate planes.

Smooth--I hear you and do not have any brilliant storage ideas. My worker planes are on a deepshelf wooden bookcase that I built from plywood. The specialty planes are all inside in plastic toolboxes. Other tools are on pegboards or homemade stands. The problem with drawers is that I forget what is where. Good luck in your quest for good ideas.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
My shop is small with no wall space so I went with a ATC. I like it a lot more than I thought I would and I have zero rust issues. I hate bending but I find that it's not a big deal to get things out of the bottom since my most used things are always within reach.

The build was fun, so much that I'm building a scaled down one for my youngest to keep her craft supplies in.
The ideas have been great, and is why I posted the question.  There isn't a wrong or right answer, just personal preference.  I think I am going to do a hybrid, and incorporate both styles into my shop.  I would like to get the planes and chisels into a roll away cabinet, and use the wall storage for mallets and hand saws.  Thanks to all so far who have come up with great ideas and sharing their shop preference. Thanks Steve for the tip on the Goldenrod Dehumidifier.  I will definitely plan on picking up one of those.  

Scott
Bill's un-straight, and shallow, now. ...

I, too live on the Left Coast and think I have resolved the rust factor. When I got my first Veritas plane it bloomed into Ronald McDonald's mop in less than a month. Maybe, two. By the time I sanded and polished off the rust I was hosing everything else with Fluid Film. Life and tools are grey, certainly less colorful, now.

The idea of a "shop" sounds really cool. A picture of evolving a Follansbee gingerbread house or Tolpin backyard playhouse is a fine wood working dream. If I did it, a kitchen and shower would precede my residence. However, tools live a gypsy existence in bags and boxes. So, any graduation from plastic and cardboard needs to be mobile, with wheels. It was a soul search, and heavy research but the solution is in the sights of my bucket list. 

Back in the 70's or so, people like Scott Grandstaff rolled entire benches in lilliputian scale that fit into normal sized truck beds. Those people must have been hardrock miners, too. I am not young, can't walk on my knees, and my load limit should fall to the tipping point of a two-wheel dolly when this thing is done. It might be easier to start with a dolly, but hot iron and fire have chased me since I could walk. A couple Harbor Freight 8" wheels have been off-gassing bug poison for a year. The beating surface (top) fluctuates in area but everything will easily slip through any legal doorway.

Some, but not all of my tools will graduate to new digs before I move on.