REDUCED Two Marking Gauges For Sale
I'm selling two marking gauges I just finished making.  

The gauges feature a captive wedged dowel locking mechanism called a "French wedge."  You can tighten the gauge with one hand--just press with your right thumb.  The arms lock securely with firm thumb pressure, but you can tap the wedge on the bench for an extra firm grip.  

Each gauge is made from cherry with a fence laminated with spalted pecan. The pecan face is wear-resistant, and the long-grain orientation on the face of the fence reduces scratching on the fence.  The up-and-down grain orientation on the rest of the fence prevents the wedge from splitting the fence even when you tighten the wedge hard.  The cross-grain lamination is stable (the cherry is quarter-sawn).  I've been using such laminated fences in my shop for years and have never had wood movement problems.  The fences are contoured for a comfortable grip, even around the protruding wedge.  

Each gauge is $40, plus shipping ($8 to anywhere in the continental USA). PayPal Only! 
If you buy both at once, I'll sell them for $75 total plus shipping in a single box.  

Marking Gauge #1, Cherry and Pecan, approx. 7" overall length

[Image: Marking%20Guage%20Cherry%20and%20Pecan%2...yauce9.jpg]

[Image: Marking%20Guage%20Cherry%20and%20Pecan%2...rmz1xf.jpg]

[Image: Marking%20Guage%20Cherry%20and%20Pecan%2...cxwwlj.jpg]

[Image: Marking%20Guage%20Cherry%20and%20Pecan%2...kz1eoy.jpg]

[Image: Marking%20Guage%20Cherry%20and%20Pecan%2...izohyo.jpg]

The scribe is a steel tension pin, which leaves a nice, fine line.  It is sharpened to a rounded profile, so you can pull it or push it.  It will scratch a fairly neat line even across the grain on hardwoods--use a light touch.  The fence is about 2 1/4" wide at its widest and about 2" tall.  It fits comfortably in an average-sized hand. 

Marking Gauge #2, Cherry and Pecan, approx. 8" overall length

[Image: Marking%20Guage%20Cherry%20and%20Pecan%2...b9ybiq.jpg]

[Image: Marking%20Guage%20Cherry%20and%20Pecan%2...gcbjiv.jpg]

[Image: Marking%20Guage%20Cherry%20and%20Pecan%2...aw2krn.jpg]

[Image: Marking%20Guage%20Cherry%20and%20Pecan%2...4mcufb.jpg]

[Image: Marking%20Guage%20Cherry%20and%20Pecan%2...719imv.jpg]

This gauge is longer than a lot of commercially-made gauges, which I find useful for both balance and reach.  The fence is about 2 1/4" wide at its widest and about 2" tall.  It fits comfortably in an average-sized hand. The scribe is a hardened steel pin sharpened with a rounded profile so you can push it or pull it.  It will work fairly well across the grain on hardwoods if you use a light touch.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Bump for the weekend crowd. Both gauges are still available.
Steve S.
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Each gauge is now only $30. 

Any takers?
Steve S.
- T. S. Eliot

Don't take it too personal brother, this time of year is tough to sell things like this.  Santa claus took most people's money, as he did mine.  Something like this is too nice to keep dropping price down too far.

Beautiful gauge, and I would love to have one, just not alot of extra money this time of year is all.
Oh, I know it. But I'd rather these get used by somebody instead of them sitting on my bench for three or four months.

Gauge #2 is sold pending payment.

#1 is still available.
Steve S.
- T. S. Eliot

I suppose this is the wrong place to ask, but I sure would love to know how to make one of these.
Do you make any with a knife type cutter?

Thanks,
Andy

-- mos maiorum
I've not made a knife cutter in a long time.  It's not something I'll be doing any time soon, but eventually perhaps.

As to making one yourself, it's not too difficult.  I've written up instructions here on my blog.

It does take some practice to get the beam fitted properly.  Too tight, and you can't move it like it should move, and it can freeze up when the humidity goes up.  Tool loose and it will wiggle in use, making it inaccurate.  Good luck!
Steve S.
- T. S. Eliot

Your directions are superb. Thank you!
For people who aren't familiar with these, they are superb marking gauges--much better than the English version with the thumb screw that you have to tighten to hold the beam in place. You can operate these with one hand. It's actually very clever. You can make one yourself (I did) but it's not really as easy as it looks. It takes a lot of time to get it right. They're well worth the price here--especially made by someone who knows what he's doing.