Impact Drill
I'm in the market for an impact drill. The prices on these things seem to be all over the board. After reading several reviews online, it still isn't clear to me what's the best buy.

Not going to use if for any super heavy duty tasks, probably light to moderate. Thinking 18v lithium ion battery model, brushless (?) and will need one that come with 2 batteries. Milwaukee, Makita and Dewalt seem to get high marks.

What say you?

Thanks,

Doug
Doug, I bought the 18V Milwaukee hammer drill and impact driver set from CPO about 2 years ago.  They are the regular 18V version, not brushless, which was just coming out then.  I actually bought refurbished tools, though they looked and smelled brand new when I got them, and I would not hesitate to buy them again.  I got the high capacity batteries which was 3 ah's back then; I think they are 4 ah or even higher now.  It also came with a fast charger for both the 18 V and 12 V batteries.  All in it was less than $200, about half the cost of new.   

I couldn't be happier, except the drill chuck keeps loosening on the drill because of the braking action when you release the trigger.  That's very annoying.  Otherwise the drill works great.  I drilled some 1/2" holes in concrete with it w/o issue.  In wood, it's nearly unstoppable.  The driver is a monster performance wise, too.  I drove many 6" and even longer timber screws with it in PT lumber w/o pre-drilling when I built my deck two Summers ago, and it never failed. 

If you are looking for a driver for cabinet making work, I would get a 12V.  If your needs are for something that can tackle big screws, etc., then the 18V is definitely the way to go.  Whether or not brushless is worth the extra cost, ???? 

You probably can't go wrong with any of the ones you are considering.  

John
Milwaukee are used in the construction field extensively. DeWalts are popular too, Makita is falling off in perceived quality. All are good. You don't need brushless.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I got the Milwaukee 18V lithium drill and driver set last Christmas and have been very satisfied.
There is a fine line between woodworking and insanity - sometimes I am not sure which side of the line I am on.
Doug, if it is light to moderate, I would look at the 12 volt compact.  I have the Bosch, it is great for driving screws in fences and such.  I also have the 18 volt Rigid Impact.  It is much heavier, and has more torque, but I am not sure I would need that except for driving lag screws.  I recently used both in taking apart an old fence with rusted screws -  the Bosch did a better job.  The Rigid snapped a few screws, because the torque is so high, and I also used a regular bit on the Rigid once, and it just shattered the tip.  Yes bad on me that I was not using an impact bit, but I think the Bosch 12 has enough umph to get most medium jobs done, it is a whole bunch lighter, and I can use regular phillips and torx bits.
I have a Craftsman 19.2 lithium impact and like it a lot. Good choice if you don't need top of the line.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Thanks so much to all who responded! 

A couple of years ago I had a need for a hammer drill and picked up a corded Milwaukee, which has worked nicely the few times I've used it. Also a few months ago a member here listed a "heads up" on a Bosch drill with two lithium ion batteries at a killer price (I forget who had it on sale). I couldn't find it locally and he volunteered to pick one up for me in his locale and ship it out here - (you meet the nicest folks on Woodsmith!) It has become my "go to" drill for the usual drilling/driving tasks and so far has worked very nicely.

I just went to the CPO Milwaukee web site and they have a sale on an impact drill/light combo kit, albeit with only 1 battery. Here is the link along with the specs. I'm a little confused as the ad headline lists one model for the drill and the specs list a different model #??? Also, I didn't see the battery strength listed, i.e. the mah value. This one is a single speed model; I've noticed that some of the other brands/models have up to three speeds - is this an important and useful feature?

The price on this kit is only $99, which on the surface seems like a pretty good deal. Any comments on the above information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug
If you don't like buying new batteries, you might think Ridgid. Lifetime repairs and batteries! 
I bought their 12 volt combo kit with drill and impact driver.
Comes with a 2ah battery and a 4ah battery. I laugh when I see drills being sold with 1.5 ah batteries!
The combo kit in a nice carry bag is $119, and $99 when on sale.

I have used it a lot, even driving 3/8" lags and love it. 
The compact size is nice. I used my full size cordless the other day, and it felt like I was holding a cannon, compared to a pistol.

HD has a great return policy, if you don't like it. But you will like it !

Merry Christmas
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
If you are not averse to corded tools, consider buying a rotary hammer. The technology is different and more robust from hammer drill technology. I bought the smallest Bosch rotary hammer 5 or 6 years ago. Paid about $175 on a special promotion at my local Bosch dealer. I use it a lot. Nothing stops it.
I have been very pleased with Rockwell Worx 12V impact unit I saw on an infomercial...battery life is good, and it definitely has some power. Have not used for production work, but intermittent use...so far, so good...small footprint, so easy to store when not in use...
http://upcdatabase.website/upc/845534008968