Emmert vise question and gloat
Wink 
I don't get much opportunity to gloat but I think this qualifies. A friend of my wife just gave me an Emmert vise. My question for the brain trust here is about rehabbing it. It still appears to have most of the original paint with some rust around the edges and a lot of dust on it. For you guys who rehab vises what would be the method you use to clean it up? Naval jelly, Evaporust, wire brush and elbow grease. I'm just not sure where to start tearing it down and how far to go. I plan to use the vise and not sell it so I want to clean it up but it doesn't need to gleam like new. I like a little character in my tools. 

photo 209D64C2-7EFE-4AD1-BDE6-31EE9C9BCA4A_zpsgkxh2hqt.jpg

photo 1FC50A09-6C17-49D7-8FEF-7E7161D5DBA9_zpsvc7juosm.jpg
Nice Dave, that looks in really nice shape. Is that all you got? 'Cause there is the tilt arm and under bench mount to allow the vise to tilt in the vertical plane. Without it the vise isn't stationary. It's also hard to see the main mounting hinge, is that intact?
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Good score. I am sure you can find the missing pieces and get it back to work. It looks pretty good from the pictures. I would break it down and clean the pieces with Simple Green and followed by turpentine. Then I would coat them with BLO (50% boiled linseed oil and 50% turpentine). Let that dry for a few hours or a day and then wipe it down. That should keep the rust at bay.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I'm with the others here, this needs basic maintenance rather than full-on rehab. I use a light grease made for bicycles in the main threaded screw.

Run a vacuum cleaner over it, brush it some and apply oil.

Even with the cost of missing parts, this is a Princely gift.

Mine does 70-80% of my workholding, particularly on long rips.
Dave, good seeing you here. Could you post some pics of recent projects?

Your furniture is always fantastic and inspirational.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
I'm pretty sure it is missing a few pieces. As Jim said I should be able to pick them up on FleaBay. I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Thanks for the pointers on cleaning it up. I'll hunt down something that showers all the pieces I need. I think I need the half of the hinge that attaches to the bench for sure and one other piece I think.
Martin, I check in here pretty regularly but don't really post much. I just don't have time. I have been working on a really big project that I just finished but I do have a few cool pieces I finished up in the last year or so. I'm also working on a few really cool miniatures that Im' having a lot of fun with. I'll post some pictures is a separate post later.
I have some Emmert parts from several vises. I'm out of the tilt arm bracket but if you need the main hinge plate I've got a new old stock one.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Great. Send me a pm and let me know what you want for it. I think that would put me one part away from a complete vise.

Cool
Cool
Cool
BontzSawWorks.net