Emmert vise question and gloat
(12-23-2016, 08:31 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Great. Send me a pm and let me know what you want for it. I think that would put me one part away from a complete vise.

It looks like that puts you 2 or 3 pieces away from a complete vise - depending on how you count the tilt adjustment bracket and clamp.

A great reference site is the The Iron Hand

The Emmert anatomy page there is a good place to start.

Congratulations on the generosity of the friend.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I took a little better look at all the parts and it looks like the hinge is there and functions perfectly. After looking at the link iClark posted (thank you by the way) it looks like all I need is the tilt adjustment arm parts. I can't see any other missing parts. I'm going to start tearing it apart to give it a good cleaning next week so hopefully I can find any missing parts and put it to work in my shop. Should be great for carving. 

photo 7359493C-6872-491C-863E-BC76026F45FD_zps7gdq7kcq.jpg
(12-24-2016, 12:42 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: I took a little better look at all the parts and it looks like the hinge is there and functions perfectly. After looking at the link iClark posted (thank you by the way) it looks like all I need is the tilt adjustment arm parts. I can't see any other missing parts. I'm going to start tearing it apart to give it a good cleaning next week so hopefully I can find any missing parts and put it to work in my shop. Should be great for carving. 

photo 7359493C-6872-491C-863E-BC76026F45FD_zps7gdq7kcq.jpg
I have had one on my workbench for 20years...It is an excellent vise, you'll love it....
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Ii bought the woodriver pattern makers vise and I love it for carving. In fact I built my current split top to hold one.
Now that I see the hinge you clearly don't need one. For some reason in the first set of pics I couldn't see it.
Of the parts that I still have you don't need any of them. That is a nice vise.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Jim, from what I can tell all I need is the tilt adjustment assembly. I haven't seen any available online. It should be too much trouble to make the assembly with a little steel and a welder. I have a buddy that can cut all the parts for me on a water jet machine and I can just weld them together. I think I will just use a slotted bar for the tilt adjustment bar which should make the construction easier. It will be a chore to get on my bench. My bench is 4 1/2" thick all the way across so I will have to hollow out an area underneath to mount it.
Yes you have your work cut out for you fitting that vise. Take it apart for the fitting, much easier to handle just the back jaw. If you need dimensions of either of the two pieces let me know I can measure them next week.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.