Photo Plates
Just finished a number of Christmas gift photo plates.  Shown here is one of them ... a one inch thick x 6 inch diameter Red Cedar plate.  The metal photo disc is 4 inches diameter and sits in a recess turned on the lathe to snugly fit the metal photo disc.  Also made the plate rack from a piece of Maple wood.  Finished with 3 coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish then buffed with Beall buffing system. 

Tom

Now that is NICE and well made.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Very nice looking , something different im sure .  What is a metal photo plate and where do you get them done ?
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
Thumbs Up 
Nice!!
nice work Tom
Smile
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Tom - that looks great! I like the contrasting woods too.

I too would like to know where you get your 4" metal photo disks plus can you show more details on the stand? Is there a hinge hidden?

Thanks,

Mike
Appreciate the positive feedback. 

Here is added info regarding couple of questions that have been posted:

a. What is a photo plate and where did I get them?   Got them from Whitewall ... https://us.whitewall.com/photo-lab/alu-dibond   You can read their description of metal photo plates at the hyperlink ... click on "Aluminum and Metal Prints".  I cropped my digital family images into a circle on my computer then went online at whitewall and uploaded the images from my computer hard drive ... need to have a good pixel density for good clarity on the finished aluminum plates.  I opted for the "HD Metal Print" on a 4 inch round disc ... a variety of plate shapes and sizes are available.  The HD Metal Print plate is 1 mm (0.040 inches) thick.  You can click through their website for cost/shipping/image characteristics, etc.   Note that Whitewall is in Germany so the metal plates are fabricated there then shipped to the US via FedEx.  Shipping is a very reasonable $7.95 flat rate and packaging was very robust.   I uploaded my digital images on a Wednesday and received my finished plates eight days later.  Very pleased with end product ... will use their services again in the future.

b. How do the homemade plate racks look?   I bought small brass hinges (3/4 inch height) for these small racks.  I cut a 45* bevel on the mating surfaces of the backside of the two-piece racks for a nice look when the racks are opened up to mount the plates.  The hinges facilitate opening angles anywhere up to 90* depending on plate size.   Here are photos of some of the racks ... Two Cherry racks on either side; two maple racks in the middle.  Not the best of craftsmanship, but they are functional and I like the wood I used.