Alkyd - Acrylic stain still cause an oily rag fire ?
A house in my area recently burned to the ground.   The house was under construction and the day of the fire,  workers where coating pine boards with an Alkyd - Acrylic stain.  

The house went up in flames around 7:00 Pm..    or about 2-1/2 hours after the workers when home.   It was a complete loss. 

The stain they used is a " Oil and water " mixed product.  Its called an Alkyd - Acrylic stain..  They say it has a plant oil in it, but also water based.  

That type of stain is new to the market.  I wonder if it would still be subject to a rag fire since its partially water based stain ?   

Of course ..  Linseed oil is actually from Flax seeds ( I think ) ..  so wouldn't it be a plant oil ?   Not sure if watered down linseed would still not ignite a rag.   I have no idea if the plant oil in this stain is linseed..   

Fires like this are terrible..  nobody hurt, but ugh .. terrible.
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand

(12-24-2016, 02:37 AM)Rick F Wrote: A house in my area recently burned to the ground.   The house was under construction and the day of the fire,  workers where coating pine boards with an Alkyd - Acrylic stain.  

The house went up in flames around 7:00 Pm..    or about 2-1/2 hours after the workers when home.   It was a complete loss. 

The stain they used is a " Oil and water " mixed product.  Its called an Alkyd - Acrylic stain..  They say it has a plant oil in it, but also water based.  

That type of stain is new to the market.  I wonder if it would still be subject to a rag fire since its partially water based stain ?   

Of course ..  Linseed oil is actually from Flax seeds ( I think ) ..  so wouldn't it be a plant oil ?   Not sure if watered down linseed would still not ignite a rag.   I have no idea if the plant oil in this stain is linseed..   

Fires like this are terrible..  nobody hurt, but ugh .. terrible.

It is axiomatic that oil and water don't mix, so unless you're using some sort of spectacular surfactant, seems an odd name.  

I'm going to say that the oil is at fault.  Polymerization/oxygenation of oils is exothermic, and if the ragas are bundled, can develop heat of ignition.  

http://www.lenmar-coatings.com/datasheet-search
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
They probably threw the rags in a plastic bag or lumped up in a garbage can, That would do it!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Not all plant based oils are "drying oils". The drying oils have a chemical structure that makes them want to combine with oxygen, this produces the heat that leads to fires. Linseed is the best known for this, but others can/will do the same...maybe slightly more slowly. There are also semi-drying oils and non drying oils. (search that for more detailed info) I doubt any of the current finishing products with water in them would cause a fire,  but you never know....it pays to check the label.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would probably go by what the investigation says. There are a lot of reasons for fires to start.

In the cold- perhaps a heater was left on and fell over or....?