$100 Challenge
(12-24-2016, 08:10 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: Sorry, I was just curious what you would do if given a $100. To me it's a tough call. It's enough money that I feel compelled not to just spend it on consumables (glue, sandpaper etc.) yet it's not really enough to buy much with.

Sorry for the confusion.

how about wood? the craft kinda depends on it 

you  get more than something disposable from that
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Lee Valley

Grizzly

Penn State Ind (For pens & pencil kits for the vets)

or any other wood working store
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Surprises like that usually get tucked away until there is something that I need, or something I've wanted and couldn't find, or didn't have the money for. Probably end up with several things for the money. Wouldn't spend just because it was burning a hole in my pocket.

If it were me, I take it and purchase some top shelf hand chisels. That is the one thing that I am lacking. Something from a known manufacturer which will keep an edge and last a generation or two. Maybe a Japanese chisel or a LN.
Usually I pick something that I've had my eye on--usually a non-necessary tool--but don't like to spend my own money on. You could upgrade a tool or buy a nice-to-have accessory to a tool you already have. Or you could get two or three nicer clamps (who doesn't need more clamps?) Also, it doesn't have to be strictly wood-related. Get a set of nice pliers or screwdrivers or something. Lots of possibilities if you look around your shop and ask yourself what smaller items would be nice to upgrade a little bit.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
$100 takes the sting off of a nicer tool. Or makes it easier to get something without waiting for a crazy deal. LV and LN purchases get a bit easier.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Money is value. If you use it for small shop items, put the cash away for a big item. Or save the card and use it to take the edge off a big item. I am assuming it is for at a particular store, and you may want to keep options open for a large item at a different store. Only you can answer that.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

First, if you do consider tucking it away until you find something that you really want, check the fine print and make sure that the gift card that you have does not start expiring in a few months.

If you are into books, LV is doing a close-out on their discontinued reprint of the American Mechanical Dictionary 3 volume set.

If you are interested in a tool that would be useful and commemorative, then something like the LV PMV-11 bench chisel in 3/8" or 1/2" comes to mind.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.