Stuck faceplate
Here is a Christmas Eve question for the group.

I purchased a used Jet 1014 years ago, but have never needed to take off the faceplate that was already on it when I purchased the lathe.  Tomorrow morning, my lovely wife will be giving me my first chuck.  I know because I bought it and handed it to her!

I've been wrestling with taking off the faceplate for several days.  I can immobilize the spindle, but there aren't any flats on the faceplate with which to use a spanner wrench.  Thus far, I've sprayed it with PB Blaster several times.  I've put screws into the faceplate to use a way to apply leverage.  I've even hit the faceplate with a rubber mallet, probably out of frustration.  Still the faceplate hasn't budged.

I'd appreciate any advice from the group.  I'm hoping to use that chuck for the first time tomorrow.

Thanks.
The idea is to get some leverage.  Take a sturdy 12 - 18" board and use screws to attach it towards one end to the face plate.  Once you've immobilized the spindle tap on the board with your mallet.  The face plate has the normal right hand threads and should rotate off in a counter clockwise manner.  If that doesn't work you might try a propane torch to heat the face plate threads up a bit.

Good luck.
First, I'd determine if the faceplate has a grub screw holding it to the spindle. If so, use hex key to back it out far enough to clear the spindle threads.

Screw a couple pieces of scrap wood to the faceplate and put something else (wood or crowbar) in-between. That should give you enough leverage.

Apply heat if nothing else works.

Put a little bit of anti-seize compound on the threads once you get it off.
Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA
Strap wrench is a good thing to have if you're using a faceplate a lot.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Attach vise grips, with leather against the faceplate. Really tight. Hit the vise grips with a hammer.
Attach a 2x4 16 to 20 inches long to the faceplate. Turn it all the way to the  left and rotate it to the right.Gives you a running start to jar it loose when it comes to a sudden stop. I would avoid the heat because of the bearings.
I suppose I should make sure the faceplate comes off of my lathe
Also make sure you are taking it off the right way.  It should be clock wise loosens it and like another way tightens it also look to see about a set screw like someone already said.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks for all the quick replies.  I'm going to try all the suggestions once the family stuff is done today.
I have indeed been trying to turn the faceplate counterclockwise.  I don't see a set screw anywhere on the faceplate.
(12-24-2016, 08:52 PM)Kiefer Wrote: Here is a Christmas Eve question for the group.

I purchased a used Jet 1014 years ago, but have never needed to take off the faceplate that was already on it when I purchased the lathe.  Tomorrow morning, my lovely wife will be giving me my first chuck.  I know because I bought it and handed it to her!

I've been wrestling with taking off the faceplate for several days.  I can immobilize the spindle, but there aren't any flats on the faceplate with which to use a spanner wrench.  Thus far, I've sprayed it with PB Blaster several times.  I've put screws into the faceplate to use a way to apply leverage.  I've even hit the faceplate with a rubber mallet, probably out of frustration.  Still the faceplate hasn't budged.

I'd appreciate any advice from the group.  I'm hoping to use that chuck for the first time tomorrow.

Thanks.
Don't use a rubber mallet...the rubber absorbs way too much "shock" from the blow...I would use a hardwood punch made out of a short length of the hardest wood you have..Place it against one of the faceplate slots..And strike the wood with a steel hammer, while someone is holding the headstock tight with a strap wrench or some other secure method...Impact will loosen almost anything, much better than a straight, steady force..I have removed chucks that had been on the shaft for thirty years using that method.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset