Getting my daughter started turning?
My 10yo daughter spends a fair amount of time in the shop with me and wants to start making things on the lathe...   I have one of the Harbor Freight gem lathe that I use occasionally, but I consider myself a hack on the lathe.  Any suggestions on videos or other materials to help get her started?   The local woodcraft doesn't let kids into classes until 16, but he suggested using carbide tools with a long handle so she could capture the handle with her armpit to help control it.  He also said the carbide tools approached the work more straight on and were easier to use....   Not sure that is right or wrong....  She's got a good head on her shoulders, so I'm not too worried about her in the shop - on limited machines and supervised of course.

Help me get her started on the right path please!

Thanks!
Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
You will probably need to build a platform for her to stand on. Think my son was around 10 when he started and I had to do this for him to be comfortable.
[Image: PDR_0158.jpg]

Carbide has it's pros and cons. An inexpensive carbide set might not be a bad idea. Hooking it under her arm? I'm not fond of that as it will make tool control awkward. Make sure she has a good fitting face shield.
Riser obligatory.  I'd use one a bit higher/wider than the one pictured below.  Get the tool down to and parallel to the centerline and the handle below the xiphoid.  Make it with a couple 1" "runners" on the bottom of the basic lifts that can be unscrewed as she grows. 

Teach her to cut, not scrape.  Carbide just can't get low enough to slice without getting thin and vulnerable to chips.  Nice carbon steel set would put her in charge of when and how she sharpens without a cutting wheel.

Folks with big hook tools often put the handle under the 'pit, but keeping the rest within 1/2", using an overhand hold to pivot against, and the average 15" handle will provide a ~25:1 mechanical advantage.  You'd really have to screw up and stuff the tool under centerline to have the rotation take it away.  Oh yes, throw those "suggested" rpm tables away.  Keep things slow and let tool control do the rest.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Most girls and ladies have long hair.  Long hair can get caught in a lathe very very easy and very very fast!!  So please make sure this can NEVER EVER NEVER happen to your daughter!!!!
(12-26-2016, 04:49 PM)opticsguy Wrote: Most girls and ladies have long hair.  Long hair can get caught in a lathe very very easy and very very fast!!  So please make sure this can NEVER EVER NEVER happen to your daughter!!!!

Very good point
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
In addition to the good advice above, the Minnesota Woodturning Assoc
 meets on the other side of Minneapolis from you. The next meeting is Jan 7 and they have a guest demonstrator the following weekend.

You and your daughter should both be very welcome there. I have yet to encounter one of the AAW clubs that does not welcome young turners. Most of the clubs have mentoring programs and some of them have special mentoring for kids. I would sugget that you contact a club officer before the meeting and tell them your situation. If they are like our club, they will put out feelers either before the meeting or as part of introducing the 2 of you as visitors to try to get a volunteer mentor for her (or for you both).

For my sister and for her younger daughter, I took a shipping flat and topped it with some 3/4" plywood (several layers for my sister) to get them to a good turning height at my 1642.

For your HF gem, it might be easier and more worthwhile to build a lower bench for the lathe for your daughter's use. That way, you do not have to worry about her slipping off of a platform as she learns to dance with the lathe. A simple hand tool height bench for her would be about the right height for her turning. Then she would also have her own workbench when the lathe is back on its current bench.

Please take the caution about hair very seriously. It has been a few years since we heard about any deaths from woodturning, but one of those was a female grad student who was turning in the departmental shop by herself and got her hair caught in the work. The other death that year was a turner who was turning a large, challenging piece that came apart at high speed. She was not wearing a faces shield and she was standing in the line of fire. It took a few days for her to die from the head injuries.

We tell you about the hazards because it is easier to learn good safety practices from the beginning than it is to unlearn bad habits later. With your sized lathe, having a piece come apart and do damage that a good face shield and safety glasses would prevent is unlikely, but learning to stand out of the line of fire is a good habit to develop.

The other thing to watch out for (for everyone, but especially for women because of styles) is floppy sleeves and shirts/smocks. Even floppy t-shirt sleeves can be dangerous when reaching over to do a cutoff.

FWIW, my sister was a carbide-tools-only turner until she had her first private lesson on turning big bowls. Until then, she was convinced that she never wanted to learn to sharpen. After that, she wanted to learn how to use gouges and how to sharpen. I have a good selection of carbide tools and use them for some situations. As my sharpening skills improve, I seem to use them less and less, though.

Also, while I am capable of using an oval skew, I do not recommend them. Traditional flat skews with the long edges properly prepped are much easier to use.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks everyone for the advice - We are going to build the platform together and had planned on making it plenty large and sturdy - don't want her backing off it by accident.  Good thought on the hair - she usually has it in a pony tail, but I'll make sure she puts it up in a bun or something. Going to get her a face mask today.  I wasn't aware of the turner's association - I'll reach out to them.

Appreciate the advice and suggestions!
Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
Good luck Dave,you have been given some great advice here, especially about the turning club. We will be looking forward to some turning pics. Good luck to you both.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member