Skim coat grout lines for vinyl plank
Every house inspection report I have seen here always mentions flooring type and condition as well as interior paint condition etc. Issues with those often can be the symptom of a larger problem in the house as well. 

Spent lots of time in commercial const myself. Much better than residential....
I would venture to guess that you have never seen an inspection report by a trained or qualified inspector. Appraisers look at decorative finishes, paint, floor covering etc. They need that information. It's not typically part of a home inspection. A house doesn't need interior paint or floor coverings to function properly. Exterior paint is inspected as all are siding materials but not interior.

I passed the national exam in Feb. There was nothing on the exam or any of the study material about decorative finishes. I'm in the process of getting a certification through InterNACHI which is much more comprehensive and it doesn't cover decorative finishes either.

Normally, A potential buyer can tell if the carpet is worn out or if it needs painting.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(12-28-2016, 07:43 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote:
I would venture to guess that you have never seen an inspection report by a trained or qualified inspector.

FWIW, I've had several home inspections in several states, and each inspector was a PE and a certified home inspector - and they all included flooring condition.

Not sure why anyone hires inspectors who are not PEs, since a non-PE inspector cannot provide a structural report and is not liable for errors, other than the cost of inspection.
I know this is a very old thread but I just bumped into it googling reviews. I've never met an inspector who is a PE. It would be a huge cut in pay to leave the PE profession and get into home inspecting. But I'm sure there are a few, maybe they're retired or blew out in the PE profession. Home Inspection is a trade, it's not a consulting, design or an engineering business. It's an inspection. The guy inspecting your car isn't an engineer. If something is outside the generally accepted standards of performance, unsafe, damaged or isn't working or is nearing it's useful lifespan it gets reported. Not sure why a person would need an engineering degree to see those things.

As to floor coverings. If I see something that makes me believe there are other problems like Water stains, mold, separated laminate, broken tiles, buckling, soft spots etc in the floor coverings, it would be in the report

Yesterday I inspected a home with mold in the basement, water stains on the ceilings, buckled laminated floor in the kitchen and a host of other water related issues. The house had been empty for three years and the thermostat had dead batteries and the water was shut off. It was pretty clear to me that the house had water damage. It may have had broken pipes in the walls and needs to have the plumbing checked by a licensed plumber before water service is restored. Really just a simple observe and report. Not sure what a PE could add to that. No engineering was necessary to observe these deficiencies.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS