tote repair, minimalism?
should have cleaned up that rust a long time ago
I've heard that people have trouble gluing rosewood - I've glued broken totes multiple times with plain and simple Titebond II, not even wiping the break down with acetone or anything.  I guess I've been lucky.
I guess I will not be any worse for trying.  I might wipe with acetone though.

I was rearranging my planes and realized that, including the beautiful #5 I just bought from Tablesaw Tom, I have 4 of them.  Oops.  Definitely going to have to get rid of the horrible 20 y.o. one now.
Before you think you have enough planes, a silly thought, understand that it's easier to grab another plane already set up then it is changing the blade. How the blade is sharpened is how the plane is used, such as  hard camber as a scrub plane, soft camber next, meres hint of a camber for panel smoothing, straight across for jointing. See you don't have enough planes.
Big Grin
Big Grin
A man of foolish pursuits
I knew there were enablers around here
Smile  3 of the 4 planes are good enough to keep.  The warp in the sole of the 4th one is bad enough I'm not likely to fix it.  I have a LN scrub plane, and I'm not sure converting another plane to scrub duty makes much sense.
I had to do this exact same repair a while back. Here's how I did it.
[url=https://literaryworkshop.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/handplane-tote-repair-replacing-the-horn/][/url]
The counter-bore shouldn't be that difficult to deal with.  As long as the original counter-bore isn't completely covered, you should be able to carve out an acceptable counter-bore on the repair.  A small, sharp pocketknife or other carving knife would do the trick. 

Otherwise, if you have a drill press, the counter-bore is easy. Once you get the repair piece glued on, flip the tote upside down and use the hole as a guide to drill out the repair.  Leave the bit in the drill and flip the tote back right-side-up.  Insert the bit into the workpiece from the top and clamp the tote in exactly that position.  Then raise the bit, switch to your counter-bore size, and drill your counter-bore.  It's a little finicky to set up, but it does work.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
that looks nice, I'm a little surprised the bocote ended up so light.  I might end up using some bubinga for my repair, I can't find any rosewood
(12-29-2016, 06:41 PM)EricU Wrote: that looks nice, I'm a little surprised the bocote ended up so light.  I might end up using some bubinga for my repair, I can't find any rosewood

It is difficult to find a lump of rosewood large enough for a tote horn. In addition, I am allergic to the stuff. I think my next tote repair might be with a nice piece of wood that looks good. Seems to me that if you cannot match it, you can feature it.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I've used cherry and walnut, stained. Sort of matches, but not really. All in all, in my book that's not the point, but rather to get the horn back where it should be.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Have a Fulton #3  that the horn was MIA on. 

I stopped just at the top of the large hole.   Used a square block of Walnut, and good old Elmer's.   Let it sit in the lamp for a day, then shaped the block to match the handle.   Seems to be holding up nicely
Yes

On a side note:  Have a Millers Falls No. 11 that the handle was cracked near the bottom.     I cleaned both surfaces up, spread a bit of Elmer's around.    Then I re-installed the handle back on the plane.  I tightened the bolt down as tight as I could.    And let the glue cure for a day or two.    While tightrning the bolt, I adjusted the fit of the two pieces so they matched up.   There IS a line, but the fix is solid.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that