Outdoor Garden Workbench
I am looking for some good plans for an outdoor garden workbench to build as my son does a lot of gardening.  Does anyone have any good suggestions on a good plan and what type of wood I could use?  Thanks.
As they (whoever "they" are) say:  Google is your friend!

http://myoutdoorplans.com/garden/garden-...nch-plans/

This looks like a reasonably easy and functional garden workbench.  

Depending on your location and availability: I'd go with cypress or cedar.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Thanks bud!
I like the one Norm made in 1992's season of New Yankee Workshop.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Whatever design you choose, I'd suggest plain ole pressure treated wood.  It won't rot and won't break the bank.  In any case, use coated deck screws to assemble (won't rust) and leave a space/jap between planks used for the top and shelves.  I used 16p flathead nails as spacers.   Need to let water and dirt drain though.
Haven't built mine yet.  If for gardening use, then probably potting/re-potting/flats are part of the use.  Strongly suggest a piece of old oven or refrigerator metal shelving above space for a lidded garbage can.  He can then repot over the grill with excess potting mix dropping into container for re-use.  Much less messy than simple solid surface.  Can make with bench insert to cover grill when not needed.  Just a thought.
Careful with some of these free plans things. I saw a few where the plan was conveniently in an .exe file, just like a virus comes in, and not a .pdf file like most of the downloadable plans I have seen come in
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Here's a pic of one that I made earlier this year. If you can find an old sink it will give the bench a nice bit of character, The overhang on each end is made with slides so that a masonry tub from Home Depot slides into that space for storing potting soil. When you pot a plant on the strips the excess falls thru the space in the strips back into the tub. Put a bucket under the sink drain to catch excess water and use it to water other plants.

Ron

[Image: patty1.jpg]

[Image: patty2.jpg]
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/