Gonna be a grandpa, show me your cribs
Built a LOT of cradles when I was in the service.  Prime breeding age folks.  Don't build a rocker, build a trestle, and make it KD so you can store for more or help a friend.  I bruised my shins and ankles on that rocking cradle I built for our daughter for years, and the best it ever was after her was an obtrusive toybox. 

Lot easier to access a baby in a trestle, too.  Top's open, no head bonker, and the momma bend is less.  Not that I recommend a cradle, but if you do, think it through. Build a changing table instead!
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

one I made, I saved the cut outs from the rockers and made up a setup to just slide in on one end to keep it from rocking if desired.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

Research mattress size for cribs that will be one of your sizing dimensions.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

My Christmas crib post was about a year ago.  Search the titles if interested. The design was taken from the previous posters cribs using Products America hardware.  The slats were sized to fit a MorticePal slot.  Fun, simple project.  PM me if you want a handwritten PDF of my final dimensions and shop notes.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
I did a lot of research on cribs before building one for a family friend. The mom has special needs, so I had to develop my own design.
Crib mattresses are a standard size and the gap around it should be between 1/4" to 3/8".
If Google Photos links work, the album to the crib build is here:
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPq...SPha5xpMgE

The design allows the crib to be disassembled and the rails replaced with longer ones.
Pics are also on Lumberjocks at this project:
http://lumberjocks.com/projects/80515

IIRC, the ends of a crib are the same width as a toddler bed. The long sides work well for a full size bed; they just need longer rails.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I built this one a couple of years ago for a friend's new baby. No plans really, but I did review some plans from Wood magazine, just for basic dimensions. The design does allow for conversion to a full size bed. It is good advice to buy the mattress first and design around it. In my experience mattress size can vary a little. Sorry for the poor (and large) pic. This was the only shot before it was delivered.[Image: 53331c17-aeec-41bb-9190-f1aabcc6637a_zpsmzhxhrhh.jpg]
It sounds like you are set on making a crib and I won't try too hard to convince you otherwise, but let me say this.

I was set on making on for my kids...boy am I glad I didn't. They only use them a short time, maybe a year or two. The time and effort for a short use item talked me out of it. Sure with multiple kids you get more use out of it... And by using it as a headboard later a bit more use...but still...it is only a twin/full bed in the end.

In my opinion your time is better served to make something that they can use forever. Maybe make a timeless shaker dresser instead. Or even a campaign dresser that breaks into two pieces that is also timeless and can be used forever and moved easily. Just a thought.

Congratulations!!
(12-31-2016, 07:18 AM)AUswimKC Wrote: It sounds like you are set on making a crib and I won't try too hard to convince you otherwise, but let me say this.

I was set on making on for my kids...boy am I glad I didn't. They only use them a short time, maybe a year or two. The time and effort for a short use item talked me out of it. Sure with multiple kids you get more use out of it... And by using it as a headboard later a bit more use...but still...it is only a twin/full bed in the end.

In my opinion your time is better served to make something that they can use forever. Maybe make a timeless shaker dresser instead. Or even a campaign dresser that breaks into two pieces that is also timeless and can be used forever and moved easily. Just a thought.

Congratulations!!

I agree completely.  A desk or a dresser could last a lifetime.  The crib my son used is in the attic, and we won't use it again because safety standards have changed.  If you are dead set on a crib, I encourage you to purchase plans from a reputable source.  There are a lot of safety considerations which make designing your own, or using a non-professional design, problematic.
First of All welcome to Grandpa hood or as my 5 grandkids call me Papa

Now how is my showing you my bed going to help you with your grand kid?

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Sorry I just had to say it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I don't have plans or even a bed to show...but i agree with how short a time a crib will be used.  Whey my kids were born they climbed over the side as soon as they could roll over and move (this was even back when the raise-lower sides were allowed)....  and dropped to the floor to make their escape.   They hated the crib/prison and wanted a "regular" bed...   so think about making a "regular bed" with removable sides if you want...  the other furniture sounds good too; as long as you make allowances for the fact they won't always be ankle-biters.

Oh - congrats!