Gonna be a grandpa, show me your cribs
Here is one I built last year

[Image: Baby_Crib.JPG]
It will literally almost take longer to make than they will use it. That's the clearly the biggest downside.

Make a "full" size bed and buy a cheap crib, I'm... as stinky as that sounds, it's true.
Well crap. I'm going to have a little more time to make the crib. DD is pretty busted up. LOML and I know what they're feeling, been there ourselves. They're going to keep trying. Thanks for all the suggestions.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
(01-09-2017, 01:42 AM)Alaric Wrote: Well crap. I'm going to have a little more time to make the crib. DD is pretty busted up. LOML and I know what they're feeling, been there ourselves. They're going to keep trying. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm sorry. I can't imagine what that's like, but at least you can help them. One of the things I never understood was why you aren't supposed to tell people until the second trimester. If you lose a child at that point, were you expected to suffer in silence? Makes no sense. A lot of people have gone through similar struggles.

in any case, they'll be in my prayers.
I made a changing table instead of a crib. Held the "fence" on the top with double stick tape. After it was no longer needed, I removed it & instant hall table.

Ed

[Image: table1_zpsddf0b178.jpg]
(01-10-2017, 02:04 PM)EdL Wrote: I made a changing table instead of a crib. Held the "fence" on the top with double stick tape. After it was no longer needed, I removed it & instant hall table.

Ed

Ed - Did the double stick tape hurt the finish at all when you removed it? I'd be curious to hear which tape you used...

Thanks
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
(01-15-2017, 06:57 AM)Darknight Wrote: Ed - Did the double stick tape hurt the finish at all when you removed it? I'd be curious to hear which tape you used...

Thanks

The finish (Armor-seal) was perfect when I removed the top. I only put small pieces on to hold it together, maybe 8 of them, 2" long, there isn't much that's trying to move the top around when in use. Figured if it didn't hold, I could add more.

Don't know the brand of tape, it's the cloth type double faced.

Ed
(12-28-2016, 09:50 PM)Alaric Wrote: Got the word on Christmas Eve.  So naturally, best Christmas ever.

Congratulations! 
Cool
(12-30-2016, 10:39 PM)ed kerns Wrote: I built this one a couple of years ago for a friend's new baby. No plans really, but I did review some plans from Wood magazine, just for basic dimensions. The design does allow for conversion to a full size bed. It is good advice to buy the mattress first and design around it. In my experience mattress size can vary a little. Sorry for the poor (and large) pic. This was the only shot before it was delivered.

That is awesome, looks like it took a lot of time and effort but i bet the parents were impressed.
I made one for each of my daughter for their first born.

Attached Files Image(s)