Kitchen cabinet doors
Thanks, Joe. Much obliged. I generally do Shaker style doors but I might pop for a C&S with a roundover just for this. Not that it matters much, except to my wallet. Sounds like thicker ply is a good option.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(12-29-2016, 03:21 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks, Joe. Much obliged. I generally do Shaker style doors but I might pop for a C&S with a roundover just for this. Not that it matters much, except to my wallet. Sounds like thicker ply is a good option.

If you had one of my horizontal router mortisers you could make any style door you wanted without buying a cope and stick set, and you'd be able to cut the panel groove to any size you want.  Shaker style is incredibly easy but any molded edge style can be done, too, with only a little more work.  No fussing with cope and stick bits to get the heights dialed in either. 

See if you can find 1/4" veneered MDF, good two sides.  If you can, it will be exactly 1/4" thick, it will be super flat, it will look good on both sides, and it will have a nice solid thunk when you rap on it.  You should be able to order it through a good lumber yard or maybe a local cabinet shop.

John
My choice, and I just finished up 1/2 my kitchen door redo, was to use cherry veneered MDF.  It is actually 1/4" and fits my Shaker style cope/stick set.  And, it addresses another of your concerns, it doesn't sound as cheap/thin/rattlely (is that a word?) as plywood.
Just a little glue in the groove and it makes a really solid feeling/sounding door.
Thanks, everyone. I'm still debating. I have respiratory issues and MDF is unfortunately not allowed in my shop. I'm working with some of the other suggestions in this thread. Thanks to everyone who responded.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

In simple term, kitchen cabinets can significantly improve the look of your kitchen, Last week I have purchased some cabinets for my home as below.
[Image: xstorage-mobile-pedestals.jpg.pagespeed....SKYNtM.jpg]
(02-22-2017, 12:06 AM)Jonothanweeks Wrote: In simple term, kitchen cabinets can significantly improve the look of your kitchen, Last week I have purchased some cabinets for my home as below.

Agreed -- I already built the new cabinets, and they are installed. Happens I'm left dealing with doors and drawers now.
Best,
Aram, always learning

LL just to close this out, I bought the router bits and was ready to build. Then I got sucked into a job search vortex and don't have much time. So I got a quote. $1200 for all the doors, Shaker style, solid flat panels, select cherry, finished and pre-drilled for cup hinges.

Good grief. I don't think I could buy the cherry for that little money. So I'm buyin'. Yeah, I know. Gotta give up the woodworker man card.... On another topic, this place doesn't build drawer boxes. WalzCraft does but they only accept orders through contractors. So I may have to bang out the drawers still.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Hi Aram

If it makes you feel a little easier .. 

I have been replacing all the doors (and drawers) in our kitchen with Shaker-style in Hard Maple. The existing doors are in solid Tasmanian Oak frames and veneered raised panels ...

[Image: 1-3_zpsivdoewxc.jpg]

It has taken 2 months of weekends to build the lot from rough sawn lumber (all solid wood, 3/4" thick frames and 1/4" thick panels), now all the doors are finished (about 20 of them) in General Finishes water-based poly to maintain the light colour. Thank goodness for the Festool Domino! The cost of the wood alone - keeping in mind that it was imported from the USA to Australia - was close to $2000. 

I am now working on the drawer fronts. Fortunately, the cabinet carcases and drawers are to be retained. 

All this started because we needed to replace the fridge ....

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Not knowing what you are calling wide, type of machines, budget and paint or no paint is.  If you want the panel and frame look, just match up grain patterns that you would like to see.  Make panels gluing up several narrower pieces. I’ve made wide doors using both cabinet grade ply wood and MDF making a 3/8 thick by 2 ½ wide frame (picture frame style) and glued in on the panel face.  No worry about gabs.   A few years back I built 17 cabinets and 5 drawers out of ruff hard maple doors and drawers.  Finished several coats of clear lacquered.
(02-22-2017, 01:20 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: All this started because we needed to replace the fridge ....

Regards from Perth

Derek

Heh heh.