Turns out hand tools are actually useful...
once you get them sharp
Smile

Mostly I've felt my planes and chisels were interesting but not super useful--seemed like people who raved about them were either masochists or willing to work a lot harder than I was. 

Well, they need to be SHARP. I thought they were sharp, but then I actually got things SHARP. And boy, what a difference. I think I could get into this handtool thing. fortunately the project that caused me to get my tools SHARP is finally building my first handtool bench.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
Those sharp chisels are just looking for something to gnaw on. Good luck with your bench.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I met someone who sharpened his flat head screw drivers. Seriously!  
Slap

I spent two cold days in the shop sharpening everything in sight. With coffee in hand I ground and polished and cleaned tools- even the router bearings and bits.

When you plan for it, it is actually fun- when have to stop and do it in the middle of a project, it's a pain in the patoot.
In my opinion, the very first thing a hand tool user should learn is how to sharpen his tools.  I suspect a lot of folks new to hand tools were like me.  They really didn't know what sharp is.  Sharp is not off the grinder!  Might work for removing old gaskets, but doesn't work for working wood.  There are lots and lots of resources to learn how to sharpen.  I'm glad you discovered the value of "sharp".
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-29-2016, 09:44 AM)AHill Wrote: In my opinion, the very first thing a hand tool user should learn is how to sharpen his tools.  I suspect a lot of folks new to hand tools were like me.  They really didn't know what sharp is.  Sharp is not off the grinder!  Might work for removing old gaskets, but doesn't work for working wood.  There are lots and lots of resources to learn how to sharpen.  I'm glad you discovered the value of "sharp".
I could NOT agree more!!!!!!! If you don't know what "sharp" really is, you wont love using hand tools.......You should be able to shave hair with a sharp blade...if you can't...it's not really "sharp"......I sharpen most tools at the lowest angle the steel will tolerate...If it chips or folds over, I add a steeper micro-bevel.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-29-2016, 09:44 AM)AHill Wrote: In my opinion, the very first thing a hand tool user should learn is how to sharpen his tools.  I suspect a lot of folks new to hand tools were like me.  They really didn't know what sharp is.  Sharp is not off the grinder!  Might work for removing old gaskets, but doesn't work for working wood.  There are lots and lots of resources to learn how to sharpen.  I'm glad you discovered the value of "sharp".

Sharpening is a gateway skill.  Once one learns the basic methods to reproduce a sharp edge on tools like chisels and planes, they are ready to go and do anything.

Add in learning to sharpen saws and curved edge tools (carving, chair making, etc) and the world is your oyster.  Just touch up tip of the oyster knife first.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Wink 
Welcome to real ww'ing.....[Image: wink.png]
(12-29-2016, 10:05 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ............................
I could NOT agree more!!!!!!! If you don't know what "sharp" really is, you wont love using hand tools.......You should be able to shave hair with a sharp blade...if you can't...it's not really "sharp"......I sharpen most tools at the lowest angle the steel will tolerate...If it chips or folds over, I add a steeper micro-bevel.

In the past I always checked for sharp by trying to shave a few hairs off my wrist. And I could. The light went on for me a couple of days ago when, after sharpening and honing a 16mm chisel, I slid it along my arm and nothing seemed to happen. The familiar experience of feeling the hairs tug and then get cut was missing. Not until I realized that a clump of hair had fallen off--the chisel was so sharp it didn't even tug the hairs as it shaved them--not until then did I understand what SHARP was. 

Now I'm slowly working through all my planes to remove the $%^&U* hollow grind I put on there with my Jet/Tormek clone wet grinder. I know everybody has their fav technique, but after a frustrating hour trying to flatten my waterstones, I said "bleep it!" and slapped some wet-or-dry paper on my Grizzly granite surface plate and went to town. That, as it turns out, is fast and accurate and I don't have to flatten my surface plate! Final hone on the Jet wet grinder's leather wheel with green compound. Mirror finish and super sharp.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
Yep the hair shaving thing isn't helpful because you can shave with a dull razor and get acceptable results.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(12-29-2016, 12:32 AM)Johnbro Wrote: Well, they need to be SHARP. I thought they were sharp, but then I actually got things SHARP. And boy, what a difference. I think I could get into this handtool thing. fortunately the project that caused me to get my tools SHARP is finally building my first handtool bench.

Hello John;

Welcome on board!!!  Most of us have been where you are, some of us only a very short time ago.  You know that you have made the transition when you come up with a handtool method to accomplish something that cannot be done with powertools, no matter how expensive.  When that litebulb goes off, then you begin to think of projects to incorporate this technique that cannot be done with powertools.  After that it is a slippery slope downhill all the way, no bottom in sight....
Skip