Need help with turquoise inlay
This is my first attempt and I have a question about which side to work from when filling a through split. Here is the piece in question along with my little trial piece:

My first thought was to tape the bottom and fill from the top so I could see what I was doing. Then I thought if I tape the top and work from the bottom I'll have an almost finished top. Then I noticed a small void in my test piece and thought I wouldn't be able to work out any voids that way.  Then I thought, but I'll have gravity working for me, and there shouldn't be any voids. Finally I thought: "You're thinking too much. Ask somebody who has already done this." So I am!

The top is nearly 5/8" in thickness so I have sanding room. I'm using 30 min two part epoxy.  Any advice on the ratio of epoxy to turquoise? The trial piece is 1:1.  Any other advice a first timer needs to know would be appreciated

Papa Jim
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
Jim

Do you want the turquoise to show in the inside as well?

Me personally I go from outside in and then fill anything in the inside after that.

Now to me personally I really like how it is, but it will add flair to your project.
I also use CA glue weather it is thick or thin.
If I can not see the bottom I still put tape on the inside and pack part of the gap with wood chips so I do not use as much of the rock/metal then I need to use, hence the first question.

Last I commend you for first trying a sample piece first.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks Arlin. I do want the turquoise to be seen from both sides but my lids are always finished better on the top than the bottom.  Is CA clearer than the epoxy? It's not too late to change, but I thought a beginner could use the 30" drying time of the epoxy.
I always work from the top, down--that is, from the show side. Yes, you can get a nearly-finished surface on the bottom if you tape it, but you also can't really see what you're doing because of the tape, so it's easy to leave little voids in the corners. Better to tape the bottom, and fill it from the top.

Epoxy often turns a bit yellow, whereas CA is usually clearer. But if you're happy with your test piece, then I wouldn't worry much about it. The CA works better the finer the grain of the fill, but for deep voids you need to use several layers. I've also been known to back-fill the inside of a deep void with sawdust and just put the nice inlay material over the top. It saves on expensive material.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
    Here is the semi-final result with just a wipe of mineral spirts.

For a first try I'm reasonably satisfied. As you can see there is one small hole which I will fill before I begin finishing. I used the epoxy and was glad I did.  I really needed the 30 min work time. I used two parts turquoise to one part epoxy to pack in maximum turquoise. I taped the bottom and worked from the top. A good decision it turned out. All the smaller chips settled on the bottom leaving the bigger shower chips on top. By the way, if you use clear packing tape to tape the bottom you can see any voids that need attention. Oh! One other thing. If you buy turquoise chips on line, like I did, about 1/3 of them will not be turquoise. They tell you this (some matrix included) and show you a picture so I'm not complaining, but I am glad I spent the time to cull out the "matrix", again to get maximum turquoise in the piece.

Thanks for all the help!

Papa Jim
I love it from 2 standpoints. Embracing the imperfection in the wood, and making the best show of a flaw Mother Nature handed you. Nice box
Yes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I did not think to tell you at the time but I usually take my drumel and clear a lot of the junk out of the cracks all the way to the end of the cracks so I can get the Powder Metals or rock all the way to the sides.

I really think you did a great job on the first project or even it was the 10 project.  You will learn a lot more as you go on like taking the drumel to clean out areas that did not take or bubbles or whatever blemishes and refill them.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Nice work!

A note on epoxies based on comments above: Yes, many brands/formulations can be yellow, but if you want clear, you can get it. I have a package of Devcon with both parts A and B in clear.

Epoxy is one of the most versatile formulations ever. It can be made to a very vide variety of specifications, from dry time to thickness to hardness after cure to color to curing underwater. Most large cities have at least one firm that can custom blend epoxy to your specific needs.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.