Using US tools overseas?
Looks like we will be moving somewhere overseas within the next year.  Don't know where and don't know when but I'm almost certain the power used in that country isn't going to be compatible with what we use here--that's been true for every country I've ever visited in Europe and Asia.

I want to keep woodworking to some degree and assuming we have the space, I plan on setting up some kind of shop.  My big tools will go to storage--so sad, but I was thinking to bring a mini lathe, circular saw, Dewalt track saw, some routers, Domino, cordless drills, jigsaw, ROS, maybe a shopvac, and probably most of my hand tools.

Assuming none of these tools will work on anything but US voltage, are there heavy duty converters that will work and not do long term damage to the tool?  We have the traveler's converters only for small electronics.

Thanks,
Paul
back when I was in the Air Force, people would buy transformers for this.  They aren't cheap, but they aren't too outlandish either.  I don't know if you can get inverters.  I would check to see if things are convertible.
The other issue for tools is the frequency.  In Europe it is 50 cycle instead of 60 cycle.   Most tools will just run a little slower but if it runs for an extended period check the tools temperature as a 50 cycle motor has more iron in it than a 60 cycle motor.  This will cause a temperature rise.       Same for a transformer.   Roly
(12-29-2016, 01:30 PM)Roly Wrote: The other issue for tools is the frequency.  In Europe it is 50 cycle instead of 60 cycle.   Most tools will just run a little slower but if it runs for an extended period check the tools temperature as a 50 cycle motor has more iron in it than a 60 cycle motor.  This will cause a temperature rise.       Same for a transformer.   Roly

A 60hz motor will run 20% slower on 50hz and produce 20% less power.  I will actually produce LESS heat BUT the fan will run 20% slower which is the reason you have to watch for heat buildup.   I have run many 60hz motors at less than 50hz via VFD and have yet to run into a heat issue even at 30-40hz but it still is a concern.
Here is a LINK as to what happens to a motor when changing the design frequency.    I worked on larger equipment that  the issues brought up became a issue.   Roly
So I'm vaguely aware of VFDs when reading posts about people wanting to use 3 phase. Am I looking for a VFD to go from their 220 to our 110 or something else completely different? Will the VFD take their 50 Hz and take it up to 60 Hz? Not even sure if that's possible.
The small tools, which have 'universal' motors, won't care, and may actually be rated for 50/60Hz. Or even DC. But the voltage is a problem.

There are 1:2 step-down transformers designed for this purpose, and in fact, I believe they're now required in the UK on construction sites - 220V to ground stepped down to two 55V to ground hots, and without a neutral, so 110V between the two hots (basically the same as the 120/240V systems we use, without the neutral, and running at half the voltage to ground). Safer in that you have 55V to ground from either hot, and even 110V between them is less dangerous than the 220V to ground and between hot and neutral.

Where to buy such job site units I couldn't say, but small transformers for hand-held tools shouldn't be very costly.

Single-phase induction motors running at low frequency aren't as forgiving as three-phase motors are, but if you take it easy on them, you should be ok.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Ah, here we go.  3 kVA, 2.5 kW step-down for 50Hz 240V power.  Should be more than enough for small tools, and smaller stationary machines.  Though do watch how much load you put on induction motors, and make sure they're easy to start.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001U153NC?psc=1
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Would it be better to just buy used power tools when you got there?
Then resell them when you leave.
What materials will you have to work with?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.