Ceiling fan direction switch
(01-01-2017, 12:15 PM)AnHonestOpinion Wrote: If it would still turn the ceiling black then it is still in the air, your lungs will filter it out.

I see someone asked about candles whi his a possibility but my question is, we're the tenants smokers?  Are there similar marks by the HVAC air grills?

I've not had an issue running my fans in either direction.   Personally I  would remove the epoxy and fix the air quality problem if it still exists, but that is just a me.
Steve
The tenants were smokers. Supposed to smoke outside! LOL
Fix the air quality with tenants. Good luck.
Didn't really notice smoke damage on walls, as in previous rental with smokers. 
Spray cleaner on wall, and watch brown stain flow down the wall! Has to be great for the lungs!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Cigarette smoke isn't black, it's brown. You'll see it on mirrors, kitchen cabs etc. It's unmistakable. Soot is black. Either a bad gasoil fires furnace or candles imho.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Check for leaks around windows and doors. Most of the dust comes from outside the home. Check the ducts for the hvac system- leaky supply ducts will cause outside air to be forced into the home through leaky doors/windows- leaky returns beyond the filter will pickup some dust. Use a good filter in the hvac and make sure it is seating well and air is not leaking around it.
Then there are dryer vent leaks, big exhaust fans (kitchen), and heavy indoor/outdoor traffic.

We use down for summer- up for winter.
Blowing up at a slow setting will keep the house warmer.  But not at a high setting which will setup a breeze and make you feel colder.  I'm not sure that all motors are reversible though.  

You can run a vertical vent in the wall with a fan and return the warmer air to the floor height.  But I think this will only make sense in a high vaulted ceiling room.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(12-31-2016, 08:53 AM)fixtureman Wrote: I use the fan blowing up in the winter to help move the air from my ventless heater.  with it blowing down i feel a draft even on low.

Same with me - I have 10 ceiling fans in our house (every room but the bathrooms...and even on in the Master Bath). In winter they blow up to circulate air, in summer down to get the cooling breeze. We have 10' throughout the house, using them on up during the winter keeps things moving to equalize the temps. I can tell when the room has had them off - they run 24/7 in our house.
OK after reading this post I gave it a try both ways. 

Fan blowing down was ok. 

Fan blowing up made the living room drafty and cool. 

Down was better than up but off is better. 8' ceilings and forced air from ceiling vents. Now if you have an area with 12'+ which is pretty common in new houses then there is is a benefit from getting that hot air down.
When the fan is blowing up you need to be able to use a very slow speed.  Even blowing down you want a very slow speed.

http://www.fancollectors.org/info/speed.htm
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
When ever I used fans, up or down in the winter, the breeze made it feel colder, every time.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer