Ceiling fan direction switch
Does anyone ever use their ceiling fans blowing air up?

After having the popcorn ceilings removed from a rental, I will never use my fans blowing up.
The tenant had the fans blowing up, and the ceilings got filthy !

I put a dab of epoxy on each switch in the down position.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I use the fan blowing up in the winter to help move the air from my ventless heater.  with it blowing down i feel a draft even on low.
I switch the one in our vaulted area each season. Blowing up in the winter to move the air without feeling a draft and down in the summer.
I only move the air up with our MBR fan.  We only use it in the summer, and if it's blowing down, we get no apparent air motion over the bed.  Blowing up, it falls down the walls, and washes over the bed.  Even the dog knows it, and moves near a wall to get the air flow when it's running.  
Laugh

Ceiling shows no sign of dirt, though, even after 15 years of nearly constant summer use (mostly on low, which is silent).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Up is the only direction I can remember using.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
we only use ours in the summer, so down makes a lot more sense.  My mom had hers set in the up direction.  Not sure if that was only in winter.  Never saw them on in the winter, and with forced air heating, I don't know why you would.

After my experience with them getting knocked into an indeterminate state, I almost feel like hard-wiring around the switch
(12-31-2016, 08:46 AM)Pirate Wrote: Does anyone ever use their ceiling fans blowing air up?

After having the popcorn ceilings removed from a rental, I will never use my fans blowing up.
The tenant had the fans blowing up, and the ceilings got filthy !

I put a dab of epoxy on each switch in the down position.

Do you know if they burnt candles? That surely  would do it.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

(12-31-2016, 01:39 PM)MikeBob Wrote: Do you know if they burnt candles? That surely  would do it.

Unfortunately, I was the only thing that got burned on that rental !
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I think you have more of an air quality issue than a fan direction issue. Our fans almost always blow up. I'm not looking for wind, I'm looking to mix the air without wind. Get rid of whatever is turning the ceiling black.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

If it would still turn the ceiling black then it is still in the air, your lungs will filter it out.

I see someone asked about candles whi his a possibility but my question is, we're the tenants smokers? Are there similar marks by the HVAC air grills?

I've not had an issue running my fans in either direction. Personally I would remove the epoxy and fix the air quality problem if it still exists, but that is just a me.

Steve

Steve