Checker board
Very nice!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.  The checker board was my own design.  The center is ebony and holly (both that I bought from members here) and the outside is African cherry which is actually leftovers from a flooring project.

The checkers were a rather tricky glue up because of that 3/16" x 3/16" little piece of ebony in the middle.  I just did the glue ups over the course of a couple of nights.  I then basically turned a cylinder and once proper diameter I used a 3/16 beading chisel to mark each checker.  I then separated  the checkers on the band saw rather than parting on the lathe because I was afraid I would run out of material as you need 12 checkers of each color and it's nice to have a few spares.

The finish is shellac as it was the product that kept the holly from darkening.

Thanks again for commenting. 
Smile
Something that hit me when I told my wife and let her see what you made was adding a solid color either dark or light so it can be used as a regular checker and then the other side like you have can be used as a king just turn it over.

I know I can do the checkers but the board is a little more then I can do right now.  Sure would be nice to play with the grandkids.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Delightful! I'm sure it's greatly appreciated!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
That's a beautiful take on an age old project. Love the checkers and the board you've nailed too!

Thanks for sharing.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
That it outstanding!
How long did it take to make the checkers?
Did you cut them from a "log"?
Thanks for the nice comments.

To make the checkers I did a series of glue ups and then turned a "log" cylinder.   I uses a 3/16 beading tool to create the nice roundness to the checkers edge as well as to keep them a uniform size.   I then parted them using the band saw.  I then used a forstner bit on a piece of scrap to hold the checkers as I sanded the faces. 

Thanks again.

Jim
Scary thing is Jim might just be right... Patsfan 04/04/05
that's awesome, jim!  
Cool