Packing Up My Shop........
It's the first of the year.  We are planning on putting our house on the market March 1st and while I am finishing up several projects this month, I have begun the deconstruction process of the shop in my head for the last several months. Have had this 3 car garage shop for 19 years this upcoming August......lots of stuff...lots of memories.

Will certainly have a new shop....but not sure what / how / where yet. I think the idea of walking into that garage and actually seeing a garage is going to be weird. Trying to tell myself the house will sell fast and it will be just a few months between being able to set up a new one...but who knows.

Rented the storage unit on Friday......it just got real.
Sad

Ok....any tips? Storage pearls? Emotional de-stressing ideas?  

Thanks....and Happy New year.
None, but having done that twice in the last 6 years I can only sympathize with you. Best for the relocation....just think happy thoughts.
Crazy
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Not knowing how long your tools will be in storage, protect the metal surfaces as much as possible to prevent rust. A good coat of wax on table surfaces is a start.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
There was a thread last year about moving, with lots of tips.  I'll see if I can find it and post the link.  There was lots of good advice.

A few of my tips:
Disassemble some of your larger tools.  They pack easier and they are less likely to get damaged when things aren't sticking out.
Label all your bolts/washers, etc. and put them in a ziplock bag.  Use duct tape and store the bag with the tool.
Put all your owners manuals in a notebook and store that in a place easily found.  You'll need it when reassembling your tools.
Rust-proof anything in long-term storage.  Wax tops of cast iron, cans of dehumidifier in tool boxes, etc.
If you think it's too heavy, it is.  Hire professional help.  They do this kind of thing every day.  They also have the industrial strength dollies, etc.
Remove any blades from tools (except jointer and planer).  Store bandsaw blades in a rigid container so they don't get bent.
Pre-pack as much as you can and label everything.  Especially chisels, hand tools, etc.
If you think it's pilferable (cordless drills, circular saws, socket sets, etc.), lock them in a much larger container.
If you use a moving service, make sure every valuable is tagged and goes on the packing list.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks for the advice. 

Not knowing how long has made me think of how to protect everything that will want to rust.

Was thinking paste waxes for tops, hand planes etc.; disposable de-humidifiers inside things and just in the storage unit. 

Be a great time to get the saw blades and chisels sharpened too. 

Everything is going to get a good cleaning before being put away too.  Taking all the dust collection down and cleaning all that too. 

There's a possibility of designing a new shop too....so I keep thinking good thoughts about that.
Sell them with the house and get new ones- delivered.

I couldn't even imagine packing all my stuff and tools and machines.  Load them on a truck- unload into storage unit- load them back on truck- unload them into new shop.
Big eek

The moving company would have to do a lot of it and store them in one of those i-pods.
Laugh
from the "lessons learned" file - - 

First I'd fix a toolbox that won't go into storage -- the tools you'll go looking for when you need to fix something, etc.

Blow out sawdust from all the crevices -- it will attract moisture which will lead to rust, etc.

When you start packing stuff into the storage unit think about what you'll want first in the new shop -- will you want to build some shelves, etc before you start moving stuff in?

As mentioned -- are there tools you want to replace (or will want to replace) by the time you're setting up your new shop?

Box and label everything on top and sides

When you find something you haven't used for years decide if you really need it.  

Set up a box/area for stuff to sell/donate/pitch

Set up a box for "lost parts".  Put them in a zip lock and label so you can get them back with the proper tools.

Yeah, I'm looking at moving my shop in the next couple of months.  
Crazy
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I just moved from one room to another under some duress, and I know I had far less stuff to move and think about than you do. Much shorter distance, too.
But, this gave me an opportunity to cull out the tools and jigs to those things that I really use. In the end, I ended up with a much smaller but far more efficient shop.
And I am happy with it.
So keep a positive thought about your move, and make it work to your advantage.
Ag
I am in the process of moving my shop.  However, the move can be easily measured in feet, ~8,000 feet (1.5 miles).  Unlike you, I can tear down a few tools, move them and set them back up.  I now have about 3/4 of my tools moved.

What others suggested is spot on.  In a previous move I stored some of the larger tools at my parents for a couple of years.  Fortunately they had room in their basement, which had a dehumidifier.  Think about what is controllable.  Others are suggesting you coat the tools for protection, and I agree with them.  However, also think about how to control moisture.  If you can use climate controlled storage, that is best.  When my company did a computer refresh, I asked the contractors to throw all the moisture control packs into a box, which I picked up at the end of the day.  I have them in every drawer.  If you can get your hands on some of those, do so.  I believe you can buy the Silica desiccant packets if you cannot get your hands on enough freebees in time.

Others suggested you bag the bolts together.  This also is a good idea, but I would suggest that, where practical, you put the bolt right back into the hole it came from, minus whatever it was holding.  It is much easier to remember what bolt went where that way. 

Take pictures prior to disassembly.

If you have not done a shop inventory, with serial numbers, now is a good time to do so.  They go well with the pictures.

Other than that, I fully agree with the other advise given.  Good luck and may another woodworker fall in love with your garage and buy it quickly!  After all, that is what I did.  I bought a wood shop with an attached house
Big Grin
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
From an emotional POV, think about that you'll get to design a whole new shop at your new place. Setting up shop can be fun if you have the room and time b