Router Collet slippage
If you happen to chuck a router bit into a drill press and you get that little deformed rise on the shaft of the router bit, it will not set precisely in the collet and it can slip. Just like drill bits, the surface must be free of any damages and be perfectly smooth - drill bits will wobble, but router bits can slip and wobble.
(01-01-2017, 02:42 PM)blacklab Wrote: My router bits have been slipping up in my collet.... Clean and tight, I think.... Table mounted Porter cable...  I wonder if anyone has had the same experience?

Have you tried other router bits? I ask because it is possible you may have a metric bit or even an under sized
  shaft. If you have access to a micrometer ,check the shaft diameter. Should read .250 for 1/4"  and .500 for 1/2"
  shaft. I recall someone on a wood working forum mentioning he had that problem.
  mike
(01-02-2017, 10:36 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I can't imagine they just wear out.

I've had this happen, too.  I think the problem is glazing occurs on both the shaft holder and the tapered collet surfaces due to heat.

On mine, after I cleaned them up and used fine sandpaper to clean up the contact surface, no more problems.

Collets wear out that is why cnc shops replace them on a schedule after so many hours of use
Are you taking too large a cut?   Does the bit chatter during cutting?  Using a larger bit shaft -1/2 rather than 1/4 allows for a better grab on the shaft.  Cheap router bits or dull bits can be a factor.  Does the table top vibrate a bit too much?  You might try cutting a smaller depth-  1/8 inch rather than a large depth cut.

Paul from the beautiful coast of Maine
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
(01-02-2017, 10:56 AM)castguy2003 Wrote: One trick I learned in the machine shop was to give the shanks of mill cutters, router bits, anything that went into a collet, a coat of Dykem layout dye. It really helps the grip.

In a pinch, black permanent marker helps almost as much.
lil Joe and Mel supplied all the info pertinent to the discussion. Clean with Mineral spirits and let it air dry well before reseating the bit. Like Joe added anything not right on tightening it up don't even run it, pitch the collet, and start over.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Or the router, the wife took the  Craftsman to recycle depot, today.
A man of foolish pursuits
(01-12-2017, 09:38 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: Or the router, the wife took the  Craftsman to recycle depot, today.

you mean you  gave up your perma move router LOL
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy