Drilling screw holes for a JB101 hinge
Hi,

Hinges and me have never gotten along, even on large cabinets.

Trying my hand at some small boxes. Using the Brusso JB101 hinges. These are tiny hinges.

Pre drilling the screw holes has been a trying experience. In the second one the drill bit broke, so had to dig it out and then glue in a patch. Later using the steel screw Brusso includes to drive the threads the screw head rounded out, and then snapped off, so had to dig that out and glue in a patch.

I've still not driven a starter screw into all the holes yet.

What's your procedure, drill bit size, etc., for these hinges? Anyone doing this for a living must have a better process.

I have a second box partially made I intended to use those hinges on, but this has been so frustrating I may convert it to a lift lid box just to avoid all this.

Hope you can help.

Mike
I use these a lot on hardwoods. There are other brands out there also.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-insty-dri...AnSP8P8HAQ
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

i Use The Self Centering Drill Guide and A tip Is Candle wax On the Screw Thread Makes A Big Yes!!!!
south vietnam war collage
Best to study on scrap.
And not use the hinge as a templet.
Drill on the centers indicated for the hinge with a new brad point.
Then drive the screws home.
If it twists their centers may be off!
Test all the buggers whence you have drilled one.
Pat Warner
Routerman,

What do you mean by not using the hinge as a template?

Mike
I have used the Brusso hinges a few times and at first had trouble with their "starter screw".  Like someone else said, use scrap for learning.  I have learned to work backwards (this protects the starter screw). Test with the bit that may be too large then work down. IIMHO the screws have a small load and do not need to fit like your are hanging a 400lb door.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Anyone know the screw size for these hinges ? I may have an extra Vix bit to pass along to the OP.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Good hinges state their specs.
If they don't, measure them.
From those numbers, set up to drill on those centers.
Don't use the hinge for a drill templet; they're useless.
You're guessing if you do.
Pat Warner
As MuseumGuy mentioned VixBits are also good for centering hinge holes. Their #3 bit (5/64" drill) will handle #2 and #3 screws. The set of 3 should cover most woodworking tasks. Even if you accurately measure/mark the hole, when drilling free hand the grain can take a small drill bit off course. These bits prevent that wandering.

I've got the set and they work well.

Link
Agree with the vix bits also.    I normally size the drill bit so it is about the size of the main body of the screw, not counting the threads.  Roly