Drilling screw holes for a JB101 hinge
I like # 843 for that size hinge it's a 5/64th drill, and with these you can replace the bit if it breaks, gets too dull, whatever. They sell a 10 piece set, but #843 is the size for this job. Drill the hole, use the hinge as a template, that is why you use a vix bit, it stays inside the template the hinge creates, and perfectly centers the hole.
Tongue  

Drill the hole using the hinge as the template. I tape them to the wood using regular celophane tape, and drill right through the tape.

Use WAX on the screw threads, you do a first steel screw to open the thread pattern, then unscrew that, THEN use your much softer brass screw.

On the brass screw use a handheld screwdriver, not a powered driver, Good quality screwdrivers are worth their weight in gold here.

Done..........

You spend hours working on a project, and try to rush through the finishing steps so you can mess it all up, go slow, take a few deep breaths. Do it right, and you will improve your projects instantly.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
1.  drill bits break - especially thin bits - when they get dull and hot, or hot and pushed off-line.  The Vix-style bits the other reply show are good.
2.  I always use a steel screw to cut threads in teh wood for brass screws to follow.  But I rarely use a steel screw twice.  Very rarely.  So - I end up tossing steel screws after every hole.  But - I used to break a lot of screws, or strip heads, and I have not done that even once in 20 years.

I gotta ask this  - - are you using the correct size drill bit for the pilot hole?  You could be using a bit with a diameter that is too small - creates extra heat, creates extra friction. There are about 3.8 jillion charts/tables available online for screw size v softwood pilot size and hardwood pilot size.

Annnnnd.....last:  What are you using for wax on your screws?  As in - are you using anything at all?  If not, give yourself a dopeslap.  Paraffin, beeswax, hunk-o-candle, or my fave - the cheapest plumber's wax toilet ring you can find - couple bucks - jammed and squished into a cottage cheese tub-thingy.  Lasts a few years, or more. 

Rules I Live By:
1.  Never undersize the pilot bit
2.  Never reuse a screw [except deck screws, and even then, only in someone else's deck]
3.  Never drive a brass screw without first cutting the threads in the wood with steel screw
4.  Never use an unwaxed screw in hardwood.

EDIT - sorry - I type slowly - faster guys got there before me - not being [intentionally] repetetive.
Best wax is a toilet bowl ring, of the old variety

Those new plastic things ain't gonna work
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW