Ugly Vase
I made my ugliest vase yet. The wood started as a firewood pile rescue. It split in half along the bark line on the lathe and went airborne. I nearly put it back in the firewood pile. I epoxied it back together and put in 6 wooden 'stitches' (3 on each side) to hold it together. I hollowed the vase with my new Jamieson Hollowing Tool. I wanted to go very thin, but was afraid it would blow apart again.

[Image: 31228863803_16fe7cb366_b.jpg]
looks like a great save to me!
Goodness Frank send me a lot of your wood pile would you please, Please, PLEASE.

I think it is a terrific save.  Well done buddy.
Yes

By the way what wood is it?

It looks like maple or birch or even poplar do not know what.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks Arlin.  I think it's Maple based on the spalting.
I think you must have posted the wrong picture.
Steve K

(01-01-2017, 08:12 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: I made my ugliest vase yet. The wood started as a firewood pile rescue. It split in half along the bark line on the lathe and went airborne. I nearly put it back in the firewood pile. I epoxied it back together and put in 6 wooden 'stitches' (3 on each side) to hold it together. I hollowed the vase with my new Jamieson Hollowing Tool. I wanted to go very thin, but was afraid it would blow apart again.

[Image: 31228863803_16fe7cb366_b.jpg]

gotta disagree with you on that Frank,great save and a nice piece of art,would be proud to own that.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Looks pretty awesome to me!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Pretty cool looking, if you ask me. There's a lot there to capture the eye. It isn't one of those pretty vases that you just look at, and then move on. This is one of those creations that make you study it for a few minutes. Once you see the straight inlay repairs, you start to try to dissect the entire vase, following the lines of inclusion, then the spalting, and then the rest of it, realizing how much actual work went into it.

It actually forces you to appreciate it, and the work and the patience it took.

One of my favorites I've ever seen here, actually.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Greg,summed it up nicely.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
How did you make the cuts to put in the stitches?