DeWalt Planer
Been looking at a planer for awhile.  Been looking at the 735. Looks like the 735 is going for about $550 at the big box stores.  Rockler has a deal for the 735X (input and output tables and extra blades package) and the mobile station for $600.  

Is this still the leader in mobile planers. Recommendations? Pro/Cons? Any input welcome?  Deal thru Rockler ends tomorrow.
It's all good till it's no good anymore.
I have a DW735. I used to have a wilton planer and would say the dewalt was a good upgrade.
Pro:
Seems to have good power when planing wide boards
I like the thickness stop dial
two speed helps speed up planning

Cons
Factory Blades don't seem to last very long
Mine has trouble feeding boards through on its own especially hardwoods
fairly loud when running

I wouldn't be scared to own another one
Just my 2 cents
I think you'll find that most bench top planers are loud. I had a Delta 22-580 13-inch I couldn't use without hearing protection. From comments I've seen from other posters with these types of planers, it's a common problem.

If I was in the market for a new bench top planer it would be the DeWalt 735. I've heard so many favorable comments about them in the past. The downside to the planer is that the infeed and outfeed tables are not included (normally). My local Woodcraft offered the 735 with a stand, the in and out feed tables, and an extra set of blades for $650.

One option you may want to consider is adding the Shelix head. It will add another $400 or so to the price but it seems to be a great option. Of course, you are now at over a $1,000 for a bench top planer. Now you're starting to get into the price range of a good used floor planer. Decisions, decisions!

Have fun shopping!
Although I've since upgraded to a Grizzly 15 incher with the carbide spiral cutterhead, for years I had (and still have) the original Ridgid sold at Home Depot, the gray one. I think the later model is very similar, maybe with a little different color scheme.

This is an excellent planer for a benchtop and has never let me down. It's a 13 incher and I can recommend it highly.

Good luck,

Doug

This one - check it out!
The 735 is on sale on Amazon right now for $499.  Just the basic planer.  Add the infeed and outfeed tables for $45, and you'll save a bit.  Free shipping if you have Amazon Prime.  Adding the extra blades brings it to the same price you've cited, but unless you're running 100's of BF a week, it may be a long time before you need to change blades.

I have a Delta 22-580.  Great lunchbox planer.  They are all very loud.  I upgraded to a shelix cutter a little over a year ago and that cut down the noise quite a bit.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd have gone with the Dewalt.  My next planer will be a 15" or 20" standing model.

If you have troubles feeding the stock, wax the tables and clean the feed rollers. Waxing the tables just by itself will almost always solve that problem.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The 735 has been good for me.  I am impressed with the ease of blade changes.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I have had a DeWalt 735 for about 7 years and highly recommend it for a bench top or table top planer. On pieces that fit the width (which is almost all)  it does as well as my 15" Powermatic. (I had two shops until recently, which is why I have both.)
As has been said above, both planers are noisy and warranty ear protection.
Changing blades is easy in both.

I have standard blades in both. Been considering the helix head blades but have not gotten around to it.
(01-02-2017, 12:57 AM)Tapper Wrote: Although I've since upgraded to a Grizzly 15 incher with the carbide spiral cutterhead, for years I had (and still have) the original Ridgid sold at Home Depot, the gray one. I think the later model is very similar, maybe with a little different color scheme.

This is an excellent planer for a benchtop and has never let me down. It's a 13 incher and I can recommend it highly.

Good luck,

Doug

This one - check it out!

+1  I am very happy with the Ridgid.
I also upgraded from a 12" Delta to the 735. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Built like a tank, dust collection is excellent, blade changes a breeze.
I would agree about the factory blades, but I just ran a ton of curly maple through it and it came out like glass.
10+ years ago  I picked up a used DeWalt 735 with the infeed & outfeed extensions and the DeWalt stand.
- EXCELLENT machine, but L-O-U-D.

I have now upgraded to a Powermatic 15HH.
- A bit more capacity.
- Byrd spiral carbide cutter produces silky smooth surface (but I still get some snipe
Upset ).
- W-A-Y quieter.
- W-A-Y more expensive.

If you're going for a lunchbox/benchtop planer, you can't go wrong with the 735.
- A few years back one of the woodworking magazines rated it as the best in category - I agree.
- Clean the infeed and outfeed rollers every so often (and the rest of the machine too) and it will last you for years.

Remember - you'll need a good dust collector when you run a planer.

Good luck in your hunt for a planer! 
Smile