DeWalt Planer
(01-01-2017, 11:17 PM)tuneswoodshop Wrote: Mine has trouble feeding boards through on its own especially hardwoods

Spoke to a customer today who bought one used, said it would not feed anything.  Turns out previous owner machined a lot of pine and the bed was gummed up.  He cleaned and waxed and has been good ever since.  Just a suggestion
(01-03-2017, 06:49 PM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: Spoke to a customer today who bought one used, said it would not feed anything.  Turns out previous owner machined a lot of pine and the bed was gummed up.  He cleaned and waxed and has been good ever since.  Just a suggestion

This is a very important and should be a regular maintenance chore with any planer. It is likely the single problem that everyone has to experience once just to understand why one needs to keep the bed and drive rollers cleaned 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

FWW did a review of about 10 models of benchtops in April of 2016,  Dewalt was the top, Rigid was #2 IIRC.
I have had the 735 for a few years now, was frustrated by lack of durability on the Dewalt blades, particularly on the exotics. I found better success with the Infinity blades which could be sharpened, which the Dewalt ones cannot.

Couple years ago I upgraded to the Shelix head, which makes the planer quite a bit quieter, but hazardously loud nonetheless. From reports that I have read, unless you chip a cutter, they last a very long time. each individual cutter has four cutting surfaces that can be rotated into action. I have not touched any of the cutters yet after almost 2 years. I estimate I would have spent $150 in blades in that time, so well on the way to paying for the upgrade.

My 2 cents...
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
(01-04-2017, 09:23 AM)Rich Wrote: I have had the 735 for a few years now, was frustrated by lack of durability on the Dewalt blades, particularly on the exotics. I found better success with the Infinity blades which could be sharpened, which the Dewalt ones cannot.

Couple years ago I upgraded to the Shelix head, which makes the planer quite a bit quieter, but hazardously loud nonetheless. From reports that I have read, unless you chip a cutter, they last a very long time. each individual cutter has four cutting surfaces that can be rotated into action. I have not touched any of the cutters yet after almost 2 years. I estimate I would have spent $150 in blades in that time, so well on the way to paying for the upgrade.

My 2 cents...

Rich
If you don't mind my asking, where did you buy the Shelix head?I have been giving it some thought.

thanks
Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Hi Mel,

I bought it from Canadian Woodworker, only place in Canada i could find it, and would not be hosed by US shipping fees.

Here

Cheers,

Rich
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/
I've had several planers and the DW735 is the best I've had. I'd buy another if necessary.

Two years ago I installed a Shelix head (thanks to Holbren and the great instructions they provide). It was painful at the time of purchase (not cheap), but every time I use it now I have a giant smile on my face while thinking, "best money I ever spent."

All that to say, thumbs up from me on the DW735 and on the Shelix head.
We work to become, not to acquire.
I use the 735 with Infinity carbide blades. The original blades on the machine are worthless. With carbide blades and light cuts on the slow speed setting give you (when using highly figured curley maple or birdseye) no tearout-great!  Beginner woodworkers have asked me to plane crud wood from pallets, etc.  That would take too much of a risk.  
   Should you have alot of years ahead of you go for a full up Powermatic planer.  The 735 is good for light hobby use or light professional use.  About $2500 for a good planer in your shop saves you lots of headaches.

Paul from the beautiful coast of Maine
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)