Thomas Day?
Anyone know how to verify if a piece is a Thomas Day or not?  My friend asked if I knew anything but I don't. ...he got this at a Goodwill. You'll notice hand cut DT  lines, pocket holes and planed tapered panel ends. The back feels planed too. No marking to indicate a genuine Day piece but it has the look. I would not have thought the glued supports would have been original though....

Any thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Wave moldings
Are they original to the cabinet? Do you know?
If the wave moldings are original, it suggests the origin is in (or near) a large metropolitan area. A cabinetmaker probably did not have his own waving engine. It seems most likely that a local vendor would have a waving engine (among other appurtenances) to serve his clientele in the area. A waving engine is a pretty big deal. A large population of potential consumers would be needed to make that specialty tool pay off. If the cabinetmaker owned it, he was that vendor. He sold wave moldings to other local cabinetmakers, joiners, and carpenters. (In many cases he was also sidelighting as the undertaker.)
Glued supports? I don't know what you mean. Do you mean the scrolled pilasters that look like swans in profile? That's typical Empire Period detail. This piece is Empire, by he way. It may be from the period, or much later. Empire lingered in the USA for quite some time.
Is this a secretaire abattant? Is that top portion, that "drawer" a fall front for a "desk"? I suppose one other name that could be used for such a type is "Butler's Desk", but I wouldn't use that term for an Empire piece of this type. The adoption of the French type, "Secretaire Abattant" is very consistent with American Empire pieces.
Empire is Late Neoclassical, just so you know. Remember, I did note that this piece may be a later example of that style, crafted long after the original impetuous for "Empire" had waned.
No way am I venturing if it is or is not a Day piece, based on a few photos. Sorry.
Clarification here:
If that top bit is actually a case that pulls partway out, like a drawer, and then becomes a "desk", it IS a Butler's Desk.
That's what those are called.
If it is a fall front for a "desk" that's inside; fixed, and part of the case, it's a Secretaire Abattant.
That's what THOSE are called.
Thanks for the response....In the 4th pic, the glued blocks to support the drawer bottom. Also, the top is a drawer.  I suspect, based on the pics from Google that this would have had a top mirror.
Also, would this be something that has value? Would or should an insurance policy be a good idea? Or is this just a cool older vintage but relatively worthless dresser....or butlers desk?

Thanks
Attribution to Day is very difficult unless you have true "experts" making the call, and even then, you get a 'likely' attribution; due to the fact that once verified, the value is considerable.  If serious, consider someone at UNC, or the state museum, I took a drive to see their collection of Day's work when I used to live in NC.  This guy signed nothing.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The glued blocks on the drawer bottom do not look inauthentic to me. The secondary material of the drawers look like it could well be gum. That would be quite typical for work of this type.
If the top drawer is in fact a drawer, this isn't a butler's desk. Are there features of any kind in the top drawer?
Assuming it is not a Day piece, I wouldn't say it's worthless. This piece is a typical American Empire chest of drawers. Rather common. The wave molding is an interesting variation. Determine if it is original. It looks like it might be from the (extremely unrevealing) photographs.
Here's how your investigation goes from here...
The scene: You and Big Shot Day Expert
You: Did Day use wave moldings?
BSDE: Nope. Never. or Yes, all the time! Folks called him Mr. Wave Molding.
Thanks for the responses.  I have never tried investigative  photos before but thanks for looking anyway.  Insuggest for him to try the suggestions mentioned and I'll see how far he takes it.