locating the HVLP
My Sprayfine HVLP arrived the other day.  I have not yet had a chance to un-box it.

I will be spraying in my old darkroom which has a "clean room" style ventilation (filtered air blown into the room and vents allowing fumes to escape.

I have a vacuum hose threaded through the wall so that the dust-generating vacuum can be outside the room while I am cleaning the interior.  

Question:  Would it make sense to leave the turbine unit outside the "spray booth/darkroom" and feed the hose through the wall?  Or should I put the entire unit inside the spray room?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-03-2017, 08:32 AM)Cooler Wrote: My Sprayfine HVLP arrived the other day.  I have not yet had a chance to un-box it.

I will be spraying in my old darkroom which has a "clean room" style ventilation (filtered air blown into the room and vents allowing fumes to escape.

I have a vacuum hose threaded through the wall so that the dust-generating vacuum can be outside the room while I am cleaning the interior.  

Question:  Would it make sense to leave the turbine unit outside the "spray booth/darkroom" and feed the hose through the wall?  Or should I put the entire unit inside the spray room?

I don't know what your air turn-over would be in there but the turbine unite OUTSIDE would be much quieter.  I checked my A401 at around 80dB at 3ft.  Unit resting on concrete floor and I was standing off to the side with the sound-meter app on my phone.  Definitely in the range of "shop vac" level noise.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I think I will put it on the outside.  The noise would drive me crazy.
The bleeder valves on turbines stir up dust, that's another reason to use a bleeder vs a non bleeder gun. Even using a bleeder gun, I like to keep my turbine as far away as possible from where I'm spraying.

I'm not going to tell you what to do but I think you're mad spraying inside a booth that isn't suited for spraying. A both should be able to exchange the bad air for good in about a minute or even less. That's a lot of fans and a lot of air movement and a lot of strategic venting to get the air to flow the right direction without disrupting your spray pattern and without creating pockets of dead air and settling finish. If you don't have that kind of air movement, you'll not only be creating a very unsafe environment, you'll be spraying in a cloud and those drying particles of mist will be settling on your work creating a nasty finish. The room will get nasty real quick. Also, in a booth, there are no outlets, switches or unsealed lights. It can go off like grain silo even if you aren't using solvent borne finishes.

Spray outside, it's safer and you'll have less problems. I've been doing it a long time. There's more dust indoors than outdoors if dust is your concern.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Spraying outdoors will limit me on the times I can spray.

The darkroom (now spray room) has ample ventilation, light and electrical outlets.  The inlet and outlets are high on the ceiling.  I can feel a draft on my bald scalp and I can feel the air flow if I raise my arms.

I've sprayed aerosol shellac and aerosol oil based poly in there with no issues.  I'm sure I was not using the right mask however.  What should I be using when shooting?
(01-03-2017, 02:55 PM)Cooler Wrote: Spraying outdoors will limit me on the times I can spray.

The darkroom (now spray room) has ample ventilation, light and electrical outlets.  The inlet and outlets are high on the ceiling.  I can feel a draft on my bald scalp and I can feel the air flow if I raise my arms.

I've sprayed aerosol shellac and aerosol oil based poly in there with no issues.  I'm sure I was not using the right mask however.  What should I be using when shooting?

Something with organic vapor (OV) filtration as well as particulate filtration at the very least.  3M makes several 1/2 mask style respirator masks.  

And the mask needs a good fit.  When on your face and adjusted, if you put your palms over the inlets on the filters so they are sealed and then try and draw (hard) a breath, you shouldn't be able to pull any air in around your mouth or nose under the mask.

A full face mask is even better and further protects your eyes.  

I spray outdoors so I'm using a 1/2 face mask with OV and particulate and work with the wind to my back whenever possible.

The levels of methanol used to denature alcohol is quite high these days and that stuff will mess you up.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin