storing wood putty
I don't use much wood putty but I do like to keep it around.  I have bought it in tubes and in cans.  Regardless of the container the stuff seemed to dry out between uses.

On the last container (tub) I wrapped a piece of plastic sheet over the lid (from a baggie) and put three stout rubber bands around tub to seal out the air.  

I went to  use the stuff the other day (about 6 months on the shelf) and all was good.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I've used DAP, Elmers, Famowood and a couple other brands. Next time anyone needs a wood filler consider Timbermate. It comes in a few colors but you can stain/tint it, sands easy, and if it dries in the container it can be brought back by adding water. Amazon and the wood supply stores all sell it.
That's good to know.  Thanks.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I just use This stuff.
I keep a tub of it around & mix as needed.
Timbermate is good stuff! 
Yes
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Adding acetone to many of the canned putties brings them back to life!!
COOLER (On the last container (tub) I wrapped a piece of plastic sheet over the lid (from a baggie) and put three stout rubber bands around tub to seal out the air.)

Another solution is to take a piece of plastic food wrap and cover the material inside the can. Press it down to eliminate any air gaps. Put the lid back on. Just peel back the wrap the next time you need some filler. Then recover.

Handy thread. I have the same problems. Bought the Dap tubestuff last time hoping it would last longer than the tubs but no dice.
-Marc

I take A small piece of sponge put acetone on the sponge put in in the can seems to do the trick
south vietnam war collage
(01-05-2017, 11:04 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: COOLER  (On the last container (tub) I wrapped a piece of plastic sheet over the lid (from a baggie) and put three stout rubber bands around tub to seal out the air.)

Another solution is to take a piece of plastic food wrap and cover the material inside the can. Press it down to eliminate any air gaps. Put the lid back on. Just peel back the wrap the next time you need some filler. Then  recover.

I'm pretty sure acetone-based wood fillers would melt the plastic wrap. Should work on water-based, if such exists (my current can is acetone-based).
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.