Removing light rust on pliers, wrenches, etc.
For light rust blooms, WD40 and a green Scotchbrite pad works for me.  Have to try the LV wheel being as lazy as I am.

Nothing I have used Corrosion X HD on has ever rusted, including my saltwater fishing gear.

YMWV
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Another vote for WD-40 and a scrubby.  

If it's a large enough surface, I'll throw my random orbit sander on the scrubby and go at it.
Simichrome and a soft cloth. 

Simichrome has quartz aggregate suspended in a light paste. The quartz provides enough abrasion to remove the rust but breaks down quickly before it has a chance to alter the surface finish of the surrounding bare steel. (Unless you're very aggressive with its application).

A similar product that I buy in Switzerland is called Knorro paste. I haven't found it here in the States. It works great too!

Follow up the rust removal with WD40, Boeshield, 3 in 1, etc...

This is the process we use on our watchmaking tools and I have used for years on my woodworking tools.
We work to become, not to acquire.
(01-03-2017, 04:08 PM)Admiral Wrote: Extra fine wire wheel from LV.  Almost gives you a polished finish.  They tend to wear out somewhat quickly, but they are cheap enough.  Best I've found for this sort of work.

[Image: 09a0176s2.jpg]

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...3415,43439
[/url]
[url=http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=65204&cat=1,43415,43439]

I do the exact same as above. use a little WD40 let it sit for a few minutes while you do the others and a power wheel soft brass wire brush used on my lathe so I can turn the speed up or down.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
have used the wire wheel on a grinder for the really heavy stuff,  I also have a few wheels for the drill press.    If it is just a little spot of rust.....a purple 3M pad and a spritz of WD40 work nicely.    Then a rag with a bit of 3in1 oil wiped on the metal.   You barely need all that much oil on a tool, just the thinnest of films will do.  

Dad always wiped down his mechanic's tool went he was done with them,  And, the ones he used all the time were hanging out in the open above his bench.   The same rag he used to wipe off oily parts, was used to  wipe tools down at the end of the job.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Dip them in or soak in  evaporust then put the shine back with a wire wheel or a deburring wheel. It works great1

but for just really grease covered dirty tools I take the grease off with a sos pad under hot water and dawn power dissolver and then put in dishwasher put wd40 or oil on them when they come out to retard flash rusting