Cheap bench stop from Lee Valley
Has anyone installed one of Lee Valley's $9 mortised bench stops? I did a couple weeks ago, and it works great. Here's the link:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...at=1,41637

It's always a pleasure to encounter a tool that is cheap but also works well. Last week, after reading Chris Schwarz's Christmas list, which included a $150 try square, I bought a small aluminum rafter square from Harbor Freight. It's perfectly square and cost me $3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3IiVXbEbyQ

Or you can build your own. Easy pieces to bring together, minimal skill set necessary, and a couple of hours time.
Dayle,  loved the video,   I watched it twice.  I might make one, though I would make it out of oak, don't want to hit a metal stop with a plane blade.
Was an interesting idea in the video for sure.  It started getting very complex at the end and I couldn't keep up with what was going on.  Beautiful to watch though.

I'm curious about the lee valley one.  Anyone else with experience with it?  I guess I'm just skeptical because of the price; Although, LV doesn't sell junk in my experience.
It's aluminum, so it shouldn't hurt steel. In any case you install it so it's just a hair lower than the benchtop when fully retracted. Two wood screws hold it in--I used long ones for strength. A spring-loaded screw allows you to raise and lower the toothed stop. The stop itself is 1 1/2 inches wide, a little narrower than some of the blacksmith-made bench stops that people install in their Roubo benches. Mine sits right above my vise mechanism near the left end of the bench, so I couldn't install anything that went through the benchtop. I'm not saying it's the best, but it's an old design and it's worked for me. It's easy to adjust for both thick and thin stock.
Does the casting look as bad as in picture provided by LV?
I installed one and have been quite happy with it. Works as it should. Saw Roy Underhill using one on a recent show.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green