Table saw purchasing advice
(01-05-2017, 08:34 AM)MsNomer Wrote: Because of a certain 8-yr-old young superman in your house who offers to build a van like Aunt Sue's, you must have a kill switch for your shop tools.

Then my suggestion would be a 'value pack' type main breaker load center, which comes with a starter set of breakers.  Like this small one from Eaton (BR-series).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-100-Amp.../100568618

Square D Homeline (QO series is much more expensive, with 3/4" slots instead of the common 1"), or Siemens ES series, among others. 

But you will need to add an equipment ground bus, made for whatever particular panel you get (assuming you do this), though they're hanging on the display above the panels in the BORGs, and are very cheap.  You have to keep neutrals and equipment grounds electrically isolated all the way back to the service equipment which is usually your main panel.

But Aunt Sue is spot on.  As a kid, I was using my Dad's Gumby-head Delta BS without power by running the belt by hand (he had a 'cheater' with an odd non-NEMA plug on the saw, just to keep me from messing with it) until I knew enough to hot wire it.  Sort of like running a hand-cranked sewing machine.  If I knew where he hid that thing, I'd have been running the saw all the time.  
Laugh

Oh, and you can always shut the power to the sub off back at the main panel. 

Good luck in your search for a saw.  
Smile
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
We can keep going if you like and hook you up with an emergency solar charged battery operated inverted power backup system that will transfer in milliseconds and upon a power failure you'll never even know the power went out.

Got money?  
You gotta love it.
My advice is keep putting money in that saw fund and shoot for the Grizzly 2HP hybrid saw.  I think it runs around $800 (or less on sale) and is a great machine to start out with.

Personally I would stay away from a jobsite saw or any of the lightweight consumer type saws you see at Lowes and HD.  I agree Delta is a shell of what it used to be until you get into the Unisaws.

But in the meantime keep scanning CL - EVERY DAY because when those good deals come up you gotta have the cash in your pocket and the keys in the truck ;-).  And I wouldn't mind driving 2 hours to look at a good deal, either.  Do NOT be tempted by the old '70's and 80's model Crapsman saws they are all over the place.  Generally, they are underpowered,l cheaply built machines with oftentimes horrible fences (been there done that). I struggled with the saw and was fortunate to be able to purchase a Jet Xacta which will be with me to the grave.

The deals are out there.  Last year I picked up a Powermatic floor model mortiser for $400 - lightly used, included a whole set of Jet bits.  Its a $1500+ machine new that came with about $200 worth of bits.  Most of the time I miss the good deals but I saw the add 1 hour after it was posted and 1 hour later was back at my house with the machine.  By the time I got there 3 other people had already called.

Good luck and yes, you should put the DC on a dedicated circuit.
Jarvis is going to need a padlocked breaker box and then find a hiding place for the key.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
You act like you've met my son or something! It certainly was challenging to keep him out of your van last summer!
Ok, now that you have included dust collection, everything has changed!!
Yes 

Skip contractor saws. DC with those is terrible. Go Hybrid(for lowest initial cost---unless you find a used cabinet model)---the Grizzly mentioned above is the best bang for the buck.

For TDKPE, that portable Rigid has a universal motor(for compact size). The other saw is belt driven.
I don't know how far you are from Albany, NY, but I'm selling am older Unisaw in excellent condition for a guy. He's asking $650. If you do decide to look ay older cabinet saws, I would suggest having the seller do the "nickel test" for you as I believe that would reveal any issues with the trunions.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Look for a used Unisaw or Powermatic 66 for $500+.
Go to lowes website and they have the Bosch table saw on clearance sale price $599 price in cart is $499.
ASE Master Auto and Medium/Heavy Truck Technician, Service writer and parts consultant.
Master Emergency Vehicle Technician-Police Vehicles

so far we have;

5 for the Delta (two against).
4 for the Grizzly.
4 for the Unisaw.
3 for the PM.
2 for the Bosch.
2 for the Sawstop.
3 for the Dewalt.
3 for the Ridgid.
1 for Porter Cable.
3 for Craftsman (older ones).