Turning Gaboon Ebony
I was at our hosts retail store today and they had a few pieces of Gaboon Ebony in the cutoff bin - and I just could not resist. I can get at least 12 pen blanks out of it and at the price they were selling just blanks I could sell them off and be ahead.

Now being a newbie and never having turned Ebony - any tricks or warnings from the more experienced guys?

I picked up a couple Classic Rollerball Pen kits to make a nicer pen and a couple pencil kits to make sets.

Thanks guys

Mark
You won't get nice, long strings coming off ebony. More like small chips and lots of dust. Make sure your tools are SHARP! Especially when sanding, the dust is fine and it will color everything black, including getting into all the pores of your skin, under your nails, etc. Wear plastic gloves, and if you have dust collection, I recommend using it when sanding. Ebony is also somewhat brittle. Take care during assembly to avoid cracking the wood. Ebony buffs out nice and will leave a very smooth finish. Because it's so smooth, it will show even the slightest flaws from sanding, so take your time and get it right.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I totally agree about the dust from that wood. It will invade everything. Keep the work area as clean as you can so you do not drag it around with you. You will not get a nicer complimentary wood though to highlight things. Works great with Holly but talk about a nightmare to turn when used in conjunction with each other but the key is no sanding. Skew to finish. An example

[Image: IMGP0881.jpg]

[Image: IMGP0892.jpg]
John T.
Allan said it all.  For me I collect all the chips and dust and put them into a container to be used later.

I remember when John posted this and a few others afew years ago and they were all stunning.

Just remember when turning for pens is you never have to be in a hurry just enjoy the process and let the sharp tools do the work.

Also if you have never turned  very hard brittle wood try another type to get used to it like desert wood or a rosewood that is scrap to you.

I and I am sure the other will be most happy to see what you did.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Sharp tools are the key as mentioned.  The good news is that its not nearly as difficult/nasty to turn as Black Palm!