Jointer upgrade
I just have a cheap bench top jointer and it doesn't work very well at all. I was looking for input on the grizzly products? I am looking a model G0452z. Any thoughts? I don't use my jointer very much at all now because like I said its a POS. Would I use it more if I had a nicer unit?
Grizzly products are good and economical.  Whether you'd use it more is up to you. Would you drive more if you had a Ferrari (or in this case, maybe a Ford Focus instead of a Model T)?
I've had a Grizzly 6" for 15 yrs or so with no complaints.  The Jet is maybe a little nicer?  Mine adjusts with handles...kind of wish it had the wheel adjustment.   Am looking to upgrade to an 8", but that's just me dreaming; certainly not mandatory.
Found a used Powermatic Model PJ882 Stock No. 1610079 made in 2008 on Craig's list. works for me.
I picked up a Grizzly 8" with helical head and have been very pleased with it. If you're comparing to a Powermatic, it's definitely not the same, but I'm a hobbyist and it's been great for a number of years and I have no complaints. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another Grizzly (and just ordered their 20" disc sander).
you cannot go wrong upgrading from where you are now 

the Griz is all but the same as any of a dozen more that fall in the same category 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(01-04-2017, 09:05 PM)tuneswoodshop Wrote: I just have a cheap bench top jointer and it doesn't work very well at all. I was looking for input on the grizzly products? I am looking a model G0452z. Any thoughts? I don't use my jointer very much at all now because like I said its a POS. Would I use it more if I had a nicer unit?

If you're going to buy new, Grizzly products (including their jointers) are as good as it gets from a price/performance perspective. I'm guessing that hundreds of members here have Griz tools and the reviews on them have been generally very positive and favorable (include me in that group).

Buy as large as you can (many upgrade to 8") and the spiral carbide cutterheads have basically revolutionized this tool along with planers from a cut quality, noise reduction and long cutting life perspective. It also precludes having to reset jointer knives each time you have to have them sharpened. You'll never regret it!

Doug
You will most definitely benefit from an upgrade. Like the others have mentioned, the Griz is probably the leader in the bang-for-the-buck category.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I bought an 8" Griz with a helical head last year and it works very well. It is a good hobbist machine.
I have had that model for several years and been very pleased.  I have not had to turn the inserts yet but then I haven't run thousands of feet of wood thru it.  The spiral head makes it so quiet and it produces a nice smooth edge.  If you have the room and the budget, consider an 8" spiral jointer.  As you do more projects you will realize how critical it is to have a square, flat piece of wood with perpendicular sides.  A good jointer makes that task easier to accomplish.  You will use it more once you see what it is capable of doing.

Lonnie