Jointer upgrade
(01-04-2017, 09:05 PM)tuneswoodshop Wrote: I just have a cheap bench top jointer and it doesn't work very well at all. I was looking for input on the grizzly products? I am looking a model G0452z. Any thoughts? I don't use my jointer very much at all now because like I said its a POS. Would I use it more if I had a nicer unit?

I can't imagine not having a good jointer. Heck I'd have to use all of those wood planes I have, and that sounds like work. Starting with 4 square material, your projects will spring forward to a new level. Jointer is at the start of that process.

I agree with Joe that the Griz you are looking at is not unlike countless thousands of jointers already out there, and many are currently looking for a new home. A tip is to start a thread down in "Tool Swap N' Sell" Say WTB, or Wanted To Buy, 6" jointer, and see if someone near you doesn't have one you can look at, do a test run on, and maybe save several hundred $$$$$. Fact is a jointer has little that can go wrong with it, most have a little rust you may need to contend with, and a new set of knives, and you are in business. Many older jointers can be had for $100.00 to $150.00 if you want a spiral, many jointers can be updated, and you will come in a lot less than that Grand you are almost spending on the new Griz, and be just as happy.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Depending on where you live, Craigs List can be your best friend for a used one.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

You may do well with an upgrade. However, if the jointer you have now doesn't work for you it may be because you do not know how to properly tune and adjust it. Or you may know how to adjust a jointer and the present one refuses to bend to your will. The brevity of your post gives me little clue as to which case is correct. 
If lack of adjustment knowledge is correct, the next jointer may give you as much grief as your present one. Even a brand new jointer needs the ways cleaned and lubed so small adjustments in height can be made, the tables adjusted co-planer, And the knifes sharp and adjusted to the right relationship to the tables before it performs to expectations. Get a book to do the first two items then look up JGrout's method for adjusting the knives on this forum and you should be set-which ever jointer you end up with.

Kyle
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Quote:OP said : I just have a cheap bench top jointer

That is all that had to be said 

I have yet to see a bench top jointer that functioned properly 

they are a perfect example frustration in a shop
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Regardless of what you decide, get an 8".  

Or you'll be posting this same question a year for now talking about an upgrade.
(01-07-2017, 09:48 AM)JGrout Wrote: That is all that had to be said 

I have yet to see a bench top jointer that functioned properly 

they are a perfect example frustration in a shop

+1
A few years back I upgraded from a 6 inch Delta regular knife blade jointer to a Grizzly G0593, 8 inch, spiral carbide cutter head jointer.

It is a pleasure to use and just works right.

Life is too short to fuss with poor tools.

Billbor
When you upgrade your machines to bigger and better, it often changes the projects you do .. and you do use it more than the old one ..

I didn't do much book matching until I got a bandsaw capable of resawing a big board.. Now my projects have lots of matched boards.. I didn't used to buy much rough lumber until I got a bigger jointer.. Now I only buy rough lumber, and that means lots and lots of variety ..

Get the biggest jointer you can afford. Its one of the core machines that open doors for you..
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand