Veritas Bevel-Up Jointer Plane
Are they any good and do they work well. How hard they to get the hang of this would be the second plane one in my collection and just getting into hand planes. I see they offer them in three diffrent tool steel options? is there one better the the others? TIA
What is your first plane? Also, what type of woodworking are you intended to do with your handplanes? That will help us determine if your second plane should be a jointer plane. Veritas (Lee Valley) are excellent planes. It's easy enough to use.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have a LN # 7with a 55 degree frog for jointing. I would buy the #8 if I were younger, but the #7 will produce a straight-flat surface on a short or long board very nicely. I also have a LN bevel-up jack planed but have not considered it for jointing. Lee Valley Veritus planes get high ratings, but I have no experience with them.
I currently have a Stanley #4. I am just getting into learning how to use it. I basically want to use my hand planes to true stock and flatten stock but eventually use them for more things.
I have the Veritas Bevel up jointer with the PM-VII steel.  Great plane.  Great blade.  Wish all my planes had that steel in them.  But I'm not sure I would buy that plane if I didn't also have a #5 or low angle jack (or both).  

That jointer is a great plane (as is the Lie-Nielsen #7), but I only use them after having done most of the work with a jack plane first.

Allan's question is the right one, but you didn't really answer with enough detail.

What size wood are you trying to prep?  Are you making small boxed or large tables?  What other tools do you have to help?  Will you be ripping the boards by hand or with power tools?  If power, is the saw good enough to give you a straight edge or will you need to use a plane to straighten the edge?  Are you buying wood that is rough sawn or with at least one smooth face?

If you haven't already watched it, Chris Schwarz has an old DVD called Coarse, Medium, & Fine that I found very helpful to explain the basic difference in planes and how to approach the task of prepping a piece of wood.

Steve
I tried one at one of the woodworkng shows and realy liked it (I ended up with a bevel up plaine).

They make really good stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.
(01-04-2017, 09:10 PM)tuneswoodshop Wrote: Are they any good and do they work well. How hard they to get the hang of this would be the second plane one in my collection and just getting into hand planes. I see they offer them in three diffrent tool steel options? is there one better the the others? TIA

The Veritas BU Jointer is an excellent plane. It has a low centre of gravity, which makes it very stable when jointing edges. In this particular instance, it offers more feedback than a Stanley or LN #7, and even a little more than the Custom #7. I own both the Veritas jointers, and have fairly extensive experience with the Stanley and LN models as well.

The BUJ has an extended toe, that is, it is moved back to offer the same registration as a #8 (in a plane the same length as a #7). This is a good thing. The one weak area of this plane is that it is a dedicated jointer and cannot be used on its side to shoot (owing to a raised section at the toe). Other than this (minor?) issue, the plane is a point-and-shoot affair - set up is simple and the adjustable mouth is great for clearing shavings. This is possibly the easiest of all the jointers to use. Having said this, my personal preference is for the Custom #7. However that is a little more work to set up, but has the advantage of a double iron and ability to shoot. The feel is similar.

Get the PM-V11 steel blade. It is worth the extra (as long as you do not sharpen with oil stones).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thnaks for the input,
I am looking to true up boards no longer then four foot long. I make a mix of different items including boxes and the occasional piece of furniture.
I do have a table saw to rip the boards on but looking for something that is easy to get a perfectly square edge. I generally have decent luck getting a straight edge right off my table saw. I do have a benchtop jointer that is a pos and delivers me terrible results I have checked everything on the jointer to make it true but its fence design leaves a lot to be desired. I was considering upgrading jointers but if I could get the results I am looking for with a hand plane that is the direction I want to get since I have limited space and don't really need another tool taking up space.

I also make a lot of end grain cutting boards and want to get a plane to level the stock after glue up instead of burning up planter blades.

I generally buy straight lined rip so I do have a straight edge on one side but for some reason the last batch of wood that I got the straight edge is not really that straight.

Hope this helps shine some more light on situation
As you plan building your plane collection I suggest you spend some time on youtube watching Doucette and Wolf videos. He uses a wide variety of planes and seeing what he uses for each job can be really enlightening.

Also watching Lie Niielsens videos is helpful.
Given your stated purpose for flattening and jointing boards no longer than 4', I'd strongly consider purchasing a Veritas Bevel Up Jack.  It can still flatten boards, it's more versatile than the jointer, and it's lighter weight which translates to less fatigue in use.  The jointer is a very nice plane, and it has a lot of heft.  It'll do a better job of jointing edges, given its length, but I think with practice you can get similar results jointing with the jack and a straightedge to check your work.  You'll save a bit of cash, and you can use the cash for an extra blade that you could add some camber to for more serious stock removal, or a higher angle blade.  You can also use the jack for shooting, because the sides are flat.  I also highly recommend spending the extra money for the PM-V11 blades.

The jointer would be my fourth plane, after adding a low angle block plane.

That's my 2 cents.  Each person has different opinions.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill