Cyanoacrylic glues
I use nothing but Starbond now

http://www.starbond.com
(01-05-2017, 10:33 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I think the FastCap kit is a good value.

The accelerator is the key.

I disagree that the accelerator is the key, to me it is a royal pain as it leaves a white residue and if iy gets in crevices you cannot get it out. It doesn't take CA that long to cure so accelerator is not needed.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I also use the Fastcap 2P10, excellent for crown molding.
I haven't used it in decades, but remember when it first came out it would tend to harden in the tube before you tried to use it.  Someone who uses it might be able to say something about current shelf life of opened and of unopened containers. That's plausibly an important difference among types.
(02-11-2017, 03:36 PM)Alan S Wrote: I haven't used it in decades, but remember when it first came out it would tend to harden in the tube before you tried to use it.  Someone who uses it might be able to say something about current shelf life of opened and of unopened containers.  That's plausibly an important difference among types.

My very question, also - I've used CA glues for years; probably most often to fill little gaps in joints (i.e. little glue then a quick sanding) - BUT, I must say if I leave an opened but capped container (always buy the smallest ones), a month or so later it's unusable - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(01-10-2017, 04:25 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: I disagree that the accelerator is the key, to me it is a royal pain as it leaves a white residue and if iy gets in crevices you cannot get it out. It doesn't take CA that long to cure so accelerator is not needed.

Mel

Moisture acts as the second part of the adhesive, so for me I sometimes use just a spirits of water. The white comes from the overpaid cure.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
[Image: Glue.jpg]

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(01-05-2017, 08:28 AM)Cooler Wrote: There are variations in viscosity and cure times.  

My doctor advises me that the "liquid bandages" are just cyanocrylic glues and that they are all sterile.  In the winter when the skin on my fingertips crack open I paint the breaks in the skin with the cyanocrylic glues and they heal quickly.  

This company offers both fast and slow cure versions.

https://www.dymax.com/index.php/adhesive...oacrylates

The "Liquid Bandage" may be sterile, but it isn't a good hold for wood. Because it is a medical product it has an expiration date much sooner than something like Crazy Glue. I had several tubes that were outdating at work, so I brought them home thinking one was as good as another. Wrong there, would hardly hold wood even after sizing end grain. But it would still stick your fingers together
Rolleyes
Uhoh
Crazy

I would only buy the thin to use as sizing, and thinned PVA is just as good there, so that has me only using the thick stuff for woodworking. Sometimes it's more gimmick than good, but sometimes it's that third hand you always wished you had. But when it doesn't work, it makes a huge mess, so after an initial flurry of trial and error I've weaned myself off of it.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW