Case for a Recorder
Some years ago I was learning to play the recorder, and a friend of the family gave me a wooden tenor recorder that she couldn't play anymore due to arthritis.  (If you're not familiar with the musical instrument, it's a relatively simple woodwind, and a lot of kids learn to play plastic soprano recorders in grade school.)  The tenor recorder, which is nearly two feet long when assembled, breaks down into three sections.  It came in a basswood storage case that the previous owner had made for it, but time and use had weighed heavily on the original case.  The cheap hinges had fallen off, and there was no latch to keep the box closed.  The interior, however, still did its job of protecting the instrument, so I resolved to build a second, sturdier box around the original basswood case.

That was probably five years ago.  I just now got around to starting the project.  Here's the result: 

[Image: tenor-recorder-case-12-2016-9.jpg]

Yes, of course, I decided to use cherry and spalted pecan.  I figured it would be fun to match my tool chest and some of my tools.  I had set aside a couple pieces of pecan with some really spectacular grain for a "special project" to be determined in the future.  Well, I figured this was it.  

[Image: tenor-recorder-case-12-2016-10.jpg]

Here's the box open.  The "guts" are the original basswood case.  I just built the case around it.  I did practically no numerical measurements.  I started with 4/4 cherry, resawed each piece so as to be able to bookmatch each side of the clamshell, and planed everything square and smooth.  I just used the original box to mark out the dimensions of each piece of wood.  

[Image: tenor-recorder-case-12-2016-11.jpg]

I could have used small hinges that required a mortise, but I really like the look of decorative, surface-mount hinges for a project like this.  And they’re a lot easier to install.   Both the hinges and the wire latch are from Lee Valley.  The hinges are nicely made with no slop.  I was pleasantly surprised given the price, but then LV doesn't sell junk.  

[Image: tenor-recorder-case-12-2016-12.jpg]

The cherry had some bug holes, which I filled with crushed malachite stone stabilized with CA glue.  I'm pretty pleased with the results, even with that giant hole in the middle.  When I selected the board, I hoped it wouldn't completely overwhelm the box, though I'm starting to think I should have used a board with only small holes to fill.  But I'll get used to it.  

There's a short build-along here on my blog if you want more details.  

I'm just glad that my recorder has a safe home now.  It was a very rewarding project from start to finish. 
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Very nicely done!  But.....have to say I would have made some definite changes.  
Yes  I would have taken at least six years to get started.
Winkgrin
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Nice job, Steve!
Very nice! My baritone sax case is looking a little beat up, want to whip up a replacement?
Smile
Benny

Your signature pieces are beautiful!

Nice work.

Chris
Chris
Very nice case!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(01-05-2017, 09:20 AM)bennybmn Wrote: Very nice! My baritone sax case is looking a little beat up, want to whip up a replacement?
Smile

No. 
Laugh
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop