Craftsman tools division sold to Stanley!
Star 
Sears is in trouble today sold the Craftsman tools division to Stanley.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/c...story.html
and Stanley will run it the rest of the way into the ground......

Ed
In any case, Sears and Roebuck Craftsman will always be the icon of tools for me. In their day they had more innovations and pride than most others. By golly I still have some good working tools from the 50'-60's.
Something is missing from present day companies I can't put my finger on- is it pride?
Mediocre quality buys mediocre quality, ho hum.
That seems like a terrible deal for Stanley.

Lampert originally went after Sears due to underlying real estate values, it is said.  If Sears went south, the real estate would cover their investments.

Problem is, those real estate values aren't doing great, due to the death of retail.

They've dug a pretty deep hole and at the time of this writing, and seem to be continuing to dig.
How sad.  Craftsman used to make good tools here in the USA.  Sadly, so much of their stuff is now made offshore and it's junk.  I don't think Stanley's going to improve it.  It's also a clear indication that Sears in general is on the ropes.  I can't stand shopping at Sears anymore.  It takes forever to checkout, and the stores are starting to look like smaller versions of Walmart, with cheaper quality wares strewn about.  Sears is on the same path as Montgomery Wards.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
dead retailer walking.

Selling off the last of their assets to keep themselves alive in the short term.  There isn't going to be a long term for them.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(01-05-2017, 11:02 AM)AHill Wrote: How sad.  Craftsman used to make good tools here in the USA.  Sadly, so much of their stuff is now made offshore and it's junk.  I don't think Stanley's going to improve it.  It's also a clear indication that Sears in general is on the ropes.  I can't stand shopping at Sears anymore.  It takes forever to checkout, and the stores are starting to look like smaller versions of Walmart, with cheaper quality wares strewn about.  Sears is on the same path as Montgomery Wards.

Not all of their handtools are made overseas.  Their pliers are still Made in USA. 

I have pretty much started buying wrenches, ratchets and sockets from the lowest priced source as HF, Craftsman, Husky and Kobalt are all made in China, so why pay more for the same quality.  The one problem is that Craftsman does have some useful unique tools/tool sets that you can't get as inexpensively, such as 6 point combo wrenches and a set of spark plug sockets that covers all sizes of spark plugs you will encounter (granted most of their unique tools are/were gimmicks with very limited or very little real world use).

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
I'll have to dig out my small kit that has craftsman and made in China on it. Bought several years ago. 

As I posted earlier black and Decker bought the craftsman name B&D owns Stanley.

The only decent power tools in their line now are their table saws and their routers both of which are the best they have ever produced. Remember the old routers they used to make... Their table saws were the start of Orion tools which became Steel City which didn't last. However ssears still sells the same saws though fewer versions of them. 

I have bought a few more routers etc mainly because I kept getting lots of surprise points and coupons etc and points from buying appliances for LOMLS mom. I think I have 7 of their routers now. Two of the professional versions and the others the dual base kits and one I bought at a pawn shop nearly brand new for $30 with everything included.
       Have bought some consumables when I get 20$ in points to use on a $20 purchase... Their bits etc are overpriced and poor quality IMO but for nearly free...
I have sockets from the '60s, some of my first tools. I couldn't afford a set, so it was one at a time during their sales.  They are great for working on cars, short and thin walled with a deep broach . Rumour had it that they were made by Snap-on.  The wrenches with their raised panels and rough finish were tough but clunky to use. KD/Easco made those.  Every Craftsman electrical hand tool that I bought I firmly regretted buying, except for a Made In  Canada shop -vac.  Good riddance.
A man of foolish pursuits