Vase Made Of Pencils
(01-09-2017, 10:47 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I haven't done this yet. I'm not sure how he didnt blow out the lead, maybe sharp tools and light cuts.

yep!  sharp and very light cuts.

sanding don't work too well either.  
Crazy
Big Grin
Maybe even CA glue on it once in a while would help greatly.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I remember years ago a turner who got himself banned,unfortunately he passed away. Went by the name of EagleSC. I got along well with him and we emailed back and forth,he gave me a lot of good advice.Anyway he took some colored toothpicks and held them together with an elastic band.He soaked the whole thing in ca. I can't remember exactly what he turned,may have been an ornament.He kept soaking it in CA,turned out really nice.He left the elastic band on it and just turned it off.Maybe some one here who can remember him and that turning and find a pic.He wasn't the most popular guy on the forum,got banned from the entire forum I think.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
The larger the cast the easier colored pencil are to work with. It's all about glue surface. Plus this guy was using carbide tools, which helps a lot.

I've turned a ring out of colored pencils, that sucked!

The weakest point in a colored pencil glue up may surprise you. It's the paint. Most of the failures I've had is from the paint ripping off the pencils themselves. GoSWF's idea makes sense, just because you would be forcing resin into the pencil and really help with the bond.

Here's the link to the YouTuber who made the vase. He's a New Zealand based woodworker: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3-0S7v...jj5EkMpymA
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net