What is the technical term for this?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoAeRq4iqgMGqotJDkg1N...UMkFII4CJw]This is the part that screws into the Knurlecis Bottligistopis Thredalimus Capasus which is inside turned portion.  Roly

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]
McMaster Carr
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
It looks like McMaster wants almost $6 for the ones that the OP posted.  That's a bit much.  I was trying to figure out if it was a package quantity, but it says PKG Qty 1.  Maybe I'm misreading.
Brass inserts with wood threads on the outside: $7.67 for 10
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(01-07-2017, 05:13 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: http://www.woodturningz.com/Threaded_Bot...rts_5_pack

Probably going to use them as written.

(01-07-2017, 07:14 PM)Dayle1960 Wrote: I guess you can call me stupid, because I still don't know what it is to be used for. I appreciate MichaelMouse's response, yet this conundrum must be a regional thing.  To me that pic in the link looks like a nut for a screw.  How big is the stopper?  Big enough to cap a bottle of wine?  And if so, then why use a metal bottle stopper when a rubber one would be better.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand why a tire valve cap made of metal would be used as a bottle stopper.
 As it says, install the insert, use it to thread on to your chuck/faceplate or whatever, to ensure hold, center and alignment.  When spun done, unthread turned handhold end and exchange for the threaded taper.  The O-rings do the seal, and they are rubber.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I bought a drill bit and tap for making wine stoppers. Just drill the hole tap it and screw in the wine stopper.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I found these folks really great to deal with when i was looking for a variety of threaded brass inserts and their quantity prices and service were good.

https://shop.stafast.com/threaded-inserts
For soft woods, particle board, MDF, etc., the zinc die cast versions are much cheaper.

Also they make special taps to tap directly into wood, and depending upon the application and the species of wood, that is a cost-effective option.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.