Delta Dust Collector Impeller Eating Screws
Well, not any old screws.
When the impeller reaches full speed it seems to be moving toward the case that holds the two 4" intake tubes. That's when it shears off the tips of the screws that hold the cover to the case surrounding the impeller.
I'm not sure if the impeller is moving on the shaft or if the whole motor/shaft/impeller assembly is moving.
It has run fine for years and only started devouring the screws today. I wouldn't mind feeding it a few screws but it makes a horrible racket and sparks fly out of the case.
Checking the parts diagram, I see that there is a bolt that apparently holds the impeller onto the shaft. I didn't find this until I had taken the case apart and put back together a couple of times looking for clues or tell tale debris. I don't have the energy to open it up one more time until I get a good night's sleep.
Meanwhile, any ideas on how to break my impeller of this nastly habit and keep it in its place?
Sounds like the impeller might be loose on the motor shaft. This would only be true if there is a shaft key; if not the motor
 shaft would just spin in the impellor. Does the parts list show a shaft key and set screw to tighten fan to shaft? Less likely would be a problem with the motor that allows excessive end play, i.e. the rotor shaft assembly can move parallel to the motor shaft.
And the answer is...
Bolt that holds the impeller onto the shaft had fallen out and disappeared (sucked) into the bag of wood chips. By dumping the bag of chips a little at a time was able to find the bold.
Pulled the impeller and the key - right you are HomerLee - to clean and lubricate.
Replacing the impeller on the motor shaft so that the key slots line up was another challenge, but got it.
No more munching on screws or sparks flying.
All is well in dust collector land.
Ron

Something is loose for it to be shifting like that.  Whey it is eating the screws it when it is turned on it flexes outwards and that is why there is clearance when it is not moving when you look inside. 

Right now it is not safe so do not use. The sparks = flash + dust = fire
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.