Cherry Table
I made this table for a customer last year. Woodnet members helped out with the design

This is before I finished it.
[Image: IMG_13942.JPG]

When I cut the legs for this table, I went ahead and cut a set from cherry. Those legs sat in the corner for a year.

Fast forward to last week. I decided to finally finish that table. I had some cherry on hand, and I just finished up some other smaller projects so the bench was empty.  

The bottom shelf needed to be square, something I can’t seem to get right on my table saw. Shooting board takes care of the task with east while cleaning up the end grain.

[Image: Squaring_end.jpg]

Since the legs are tapered on the top as well as the bottom, the aprons need to have the shoulder cut on the matching angle. A miter saw with depth stops is a great solution.

[Image: Mitersaw_Tenons.jpg]

Here is the base dry fitted

[Image: Table_Base.jpg]

And glued up with one coat of oil finish. I still need to mill the top.

[Image: Table_Base_2.jpg]

Not the best photos, but I will set up my make shift photo studio and get some better pics once it is finished.
Nice looking table! Thanks for the progress pics also. I always enjoy seeing other people's work flow.
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Nice. Kinda like this.

KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

That's a nice looking table. Will be nice to see it finished.

Every time I see one of the old mitre saws I kind of lust after them.
My ex-father-in-law passed away a couple years ago and had one.  However being divorced, I didn't have a chance at it.
My son tells me that his cousins cleaned out the house before any of the immediate family had an opportunity to get any heirlooms.
Finished up the table.  Weather was not nice enough to open up the shop and spray so I brushed on the water based finish. Came out nice, but not quite as nice when I spray. Going to give it a few days and buff out the finish.  

[Image: Cherry_Table.jpg]
It's awesome!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Scoony,

Nice looking table!

I made one similar a year ago and I had a hard time making the leg "housing" that receives the lower shelf. Mine just floats in the legs and I added some edge treatment to the lower shelf short sides to keep it from moving. The long edges were curved (concave) so doing the same treatment there was not in my plans.

What worked for you?

Mark
I made those cut-outs with a mortise machine. Actually quite easy. The insides of the legs tapers. but the outside edges are square and become the reference edges. Set the mortise machine to cut just shy of the depth and make the cuts from both sides. Takes two passes. Chisel out the remaining waste.

I drilled pockets for pocket screws under the shelf at an angle so that the pocket screws secure the shelf to the leg.
Very nice for sure!
Luke