Delta 46-250 Midi opinions?
I have a chance to buy a Delta 46-250 midi lathe, to get into some turning. I currently use my Shop Smith 10-ER for the rare turning I do now. 
One reason for the smaller lathe is to put it in our Lanai that has air conditioning, in the summer. 

Anyone with experience on the Delta? (and ER-10 hopefully)
Advantages of the Delta over the 10-ER? (Other than size, which is helpful)
Neither is a heavy lathe. I would build a table for the Delta and weigh it down.

Any help deciding would help. I can get the Delta for $130, with basic centers and faceplate.

Thanks for any help.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I'd grab it at that price assuming everything is in working order. The midi is limited in turning diameter but it works for many bowls, Christmas ornaments, etc. It takes less space in the shop, which may be a consideration. I've had one for several years and it is reliable. Lots of accessories available for it.
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
That seems like a great deal.  I don't think you'll have to weigh it down if you turn blanks that you round on a bandsaw.
At that price, I would grab the Delta lathe. If it is in decent shape, you should be able to get your money back easily. It also looks like you can still buy bed extensions for it if you want to turn longer objects.

I have an ER-10 that was given to me, but it is a fixer-upper and I have not used it as a lathe. Without a jack shaft on the ER-10, the Delta will have a nicer range of turning speeds. Also, you can build your stand for the Delta so that the spindle height is more comfortable than the spindle height on the ER-10.

I have seen stands where a drop leaf is included for the bed extension. The extension stores in the lower part of the stand for added weight when it is not needed and then is supported by the folding shelf when it is needed. Even if you do not buy the extension now, I would suggest still including the option to add the drop shelf later when you build the stand.

Edited to add: the new software lost your location and I am having trouble remembering where you are. I think that there are several people here (including me) that would be happy to take the Delta off of your friend's hands if you decide not to take it.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I had that lathe for a few years, turned lots of things on it, though not bowls as I have a large lathe for that, the power isn’t too bad but you will have to take lighter cuts with the largest possible diameter piece.

For that reason I got the little bit larger and more powerful 46-460, I sold the smaller one to another turner that used it for a few years, he sold it again to another turner and it is still being used as of this day.

It is a nice little lathe, and I would buy it again if there wasn’t the little larger one with variable speed, I had it clamped on one of those Delta Workmate folding stand, and my new lathe sits on that now, works fine for what I turn on it.
Have fun and take care
What do you wish to turn?  My concern would be that this lathe's lowest speed is 500rpm, which is a bit on the fast side for bowl turning.  If you have a bandsaw and can get your bowl blanks pretty round and balanced beforehand, probably not too big of a deal, but for out of balance "chainsaw polygon" blanks of larger size, you would have a pretty wobbly experience. For spindle work, it would be fine and this seems like a good price if it is in good shape.
Yes 500 RPM is quite fast, however for the relative small size that can be turned on this lathe, of 9 or at max 9 ¾ inches, makes this not too fast in my opinion.

Larger lathes that can turn 14 or 16 inches can usually go no slower that 350 RPM, that would make that more of a problem IF you have a rather un-balanced blank on it
Smile
Have fun and take care
Does anyone know what the bed extension would run. New or used?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(01-08-2017, 08:29 AM)Pirate Wrote: Does anyone know what the bed extension would run. New or used?

Blush
Blush When I googled "Delta 46-250", it showed 2 sources for the bed extension under shop at google. I failed to check and see that those extensions were not compatible with my search term.
Sigh

It looks like the extension is only available used or if a store (like Woodcraft or Rockler) happens to have one in the storeroom that did not sell.

Some have sold on the-bay in the $50 range.

New, it looks like it was in the $120-$150 range.

My apologies for not being more observant about the google results.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
It's short money for a decent lathe even adding the bed extension. Your just limited by the swing which will result in a 9 inch bowl. Perfect for pens and other smaller items. Great lathe and price to get your feet wet.

I went from a Craftsman to a Jet 1014VS to a 3520b. The Jet was great but I was limited by the size now nothing is impossible.
Don