Jet or Powermatic: 6" jointer with helical head
That looks like a good one.  If you could get him to $2000 cash, you'd be happy with it. As it is, I would probably get it even at the 2200.

But you better hurry.  Around here it would be gone already.

Also, take a few extra thousand and see what else he has laying around. He's selling out, put a package together, buy several tools and talk him down... then sell off the other tools, and you'll end up with the jointer for far less overall.
Nevermind.  I see you can get a new one for $2244.  Only thing missing would be the mobile base.
You're looking at the strait knife version... This is the helical head.  Add $1200 or so.
(01-07-2017, 11:01 AM)Bergie Wrote: Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I like the idea of the 8" Grizzly, if I can overcome two issues:

1. Getting the bed box down my basement stairs. There are two steps down to a landing, then a 90 degree turn to the left. Need to make sure I can safely make that turn. Making that turn may require sending it end and dropping the leading edge to the floor and raising the tail end to the ceiling, then loading on a dolly and starting down the stairs. Any restrictions from flipping that big plywood box on end?

2. The 8" Grizzly requires 240V and my workshop is wired for 120V and there aren't a lot of options in my current panel. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks again!

In your panel you can put several 110v into the slim breakers and then easily add a 220v in there and run the wire where you will.  Easy peasy.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-07-2017, 11:01 AM)Bergie Wrote: Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I like the idea of the 8" Grizzly, if I can overcome two issues:

1. Getting the bed box down my basement stairs. There are two steps down to a landing, then a 90 degree turn to the left. Need to make sure I can safely make that turn. Making that turn may require sending it end and dropping the leading edge to the floor and raising the tail end to the ceiling, then loading on a dolly and starting down the stairs. Any restrictions from flipping that big plywood box on end?

2. The 8" Grizzly requires 240V and my workshop is wired for 120V and there aren't a lot of options in my current panel. Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Thanks again!

As long as it is still crated you will be fine. there are other options as well if you want to investigate them just ask here.

the 220 issue can be overcome fairly easily. If you are not comfortable with wiring get a qualified electrician to bid the work. If you are comfortable it is a matter of opening up a pair of lugs using thin double breakers to get a 220 breaker in place and running wire 

That may be the simplest;  again are other options available including a separate feed to a second box from your main box 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

If space and power is an issue....nothing wrong with this....

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-X-46-J...ead/G0452Z

Again, if your willing to spend 2k on a PM jointer.....get this, save a grand and get another tool....or other small stuff. 

I have a 6" jet with a grizzy spiral cutterhead, and run thousands of BF through it every year...and only a handfull of times I wished I had a larger one. With that said if I was buying new, Id get an 8"....but its a luxury. 

I work the heck out of my tools....and the grizzly stuff holds up just fine (just if you're worried about a HF quality tool....they arent) I have an US made PM66 (and thats the only reason)....and a grizz 15 stationary planer....that has seen more than 10k board feet the last 5 years....and still purring. 

No way I would spend the money for a "name brand" anymore.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

All my woodworking buddies told me "Get an 8 inch jointer right off vs. a 6 inch and then buying an 8 inch later."
- I didn't listen and I bought a 6 inch, 3 knife jointer (Delta factory rebuilt). 
- After a few months I had one project after another where I wished I had a 8 inch jointer.
- Also, changing the knives was a PIA.

After a few years I finally upgraded to an 8 inch jointer with a 75 inch long bed.
- I paid the extra $$ to get the carbide spiral cutter.
- It's WONDERFUL - very smooth and much quieter.
- It's a Grizzly G0593.

If you can swing the extra bucks for an 8 inch spiral head jointer you will be a happy camper.
- You can easily get 220/240 volts to your shop, that's not an issue.

I actually like milling rough lumber now! 
Cool
Yup go with the griz. You won't regret it. I regret not buying it back when it was under 1k shipped.... Course at the time I used the hs shop for much of my building so I bought a 6" from sears for the home shop as it was $200 after discounts and the same machine as the griz with the power switch on the pole. I got a great deal on on a new machine but I should have gotten the griz as I knew at the time the hs shop was nearing the chopping block... 

I miss that old PM 12" table saw and big RAS.
(01-07-2017, 12:20 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: That looks like a good one.  If you could get him to $2000 cash, you'd be happy with it. As it is, I would probably get it even at the 2200.

But you better hurry.  Around here it would be gone already.

Also, take a few extra thousand and see what else he has laying around.  He's selling out, put a package together, buy several tools and talk him down... then sell off the other tools, and you'll end up with the jointer for far less overall.

Yes is gone already (sigh) 
Sad
(01-06-2017, 01:44 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: "I have the 6" model the VA bought me and the 8" would be much better.
Mine"

I understand this thread is a year old.  Arlin, if you are still active on this forum I have some questions for you.  How did you get the VA to pay for woodworking tools?  Were you enrolled in school and got it via GI Bill or Voc Rehab or via another program?  I'm a disabled vet unable to work but love to go out in my shop and build things and would be interested in talking to you about these things.

Glenn